Cherkasy region

Motronynskyi monastery

Description

  • The monastery was built in the early 11th century at times of Iaroslav the Wise.
  • One of the legends says that the founder was Princess Motrona, the young wife of Smila voivode Myroslav. In 1036, returning from the last campaign against the Pechenegs near Kyiv, Myroslav was killed by guards under the walls of his own fortification on the orders of the princess, who remained the eldest in the settlement. Either Myroslav wanted to check the reliability of the guard, or his army dressed in enemy clothes for the sake of a joke.
  • Motron’s widow gave all her money for the construction of the monastery.

The monastery was built in the early 11th century at times of Iaroslav the Wise.

One of the legends says that the founder was Princess Motrona, the young wife of Smila voivode Myroslav. In 1036, returning from the last campaign against the Pechenegs near Kyiv, Myroslav was killed by guards under the walls of his own fortification by the order of the princess, who remained the eldest in the settlement. Either Myroslav wanted to check the reliability of the guard, or his army dressed in enemy clothes for the sake of a joke.
Motron’s widow gave all her money for the construction of the monastery.

The monastery was built in the early 11th century at times of Iaroslav the Wise.

One of the legends says that the founder was Princess Motrona, the young wife of Smila voivode Myroslav. In 1036, returning from the last campaign against the Pechenegs near Kyiv, Myroslav was killed by guards under the walls of his own fortification by the order of the princess, who remained the eldest in the settlement. Either Myroslav wanted to check the reliability of the guard, or his army dressed in enemy clothes for the sake of a joke.
Motron’s widow gave all her money for the construction of the monastery.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • In 1236 the monastery was destroyed by the Horde of Khan Batyi. Historians suggest that the revival of the Motronynskyi ,,skyt” (the place where monks lived) began during the reign of Prince Olgerd of Lithuania (1345-1377), who contributed to the establishment of Christianity in Russia.It is known from ancient prints that in 1568, with the blessing of Kyiv Metropolitan Iona Protasovych, the construction of the church started.

Starting from the 17th century the historical past of the nunnery leaves more information. Thus, the well-known Zaporozhian Cossacks contributed to the formation and strengthening of the Motronynskyi monastery. This is evidenced by the proclamations of P. Sahaidachnyi, P. Doroshenko, I. Skoropadskyi, where the rights and privileges of the monastery are confirmed.

In 1677 - 1678 during the defense of Chyhyryn, Motronynskyi monastery was burnt to the ground and destroyed by Polish troops.
In 1685, Metropolitan Gideon of Kyiv blessed the chapel in the caves and the ,,small” church on the old site. For a century the monastery was a stronghold of the Orthodox faith. After the third partition of Poland in 1795, all of Right-Bank Ukraine came under Russian protection, and the monastery began to rebuild.
In 1805 a stone church was built and consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity. It is retained until now.
After the October revolution of 1917, Motronynskyi monastery, at that time a female nunnery, continued to work.
However in 1923 Christless authorities closed the monastery, and the nuns were tortured in prisons.
On January 24, 1991 by the decision of the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Motronynskyi monastery was opened. And in 1992 the first Divine Service was served in the restored Holy Trinity Church.

Starting from the 17th century the historical past of the nunnery leaves more information. Thus, the well-known Zaporozhian Cossacks contributed to the formation and strengthening of the Motronynskyi monastery. This is evidenced by the proclamations of P. Sahaidachnyi, P. Doroshenko, I. Skoropadskyi, where the rights and privileges of the monastery are confirmed.

In 1677 - 1678 during the defense of Chyhyryn, Motronynskyi monastery was burnt to the ground and destroyed by Polish troops.
In 1685, Metropolitan Gideon of Kyiv blessed the chapel in the caves and the ,,small” church on the old site. For a century the monastery was a stronghold of the Orthodox faith. After the third partition of Poland in 1795, all of Right-Bank Ukraine came under Russian protection, and the monastery began to rebuild.
In 1805 a stone church was built and consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity. It is retained until now.
After the October revolution of 1917, Motronynskyi monastery, at that time a female nunnery, continued to work.
However in 1923 Christless authorities closed the monastery, and the nuns were tortured in prisons.
On January 24, 1991 by the decision of the Holy Synod of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Motronynskyi monastery was opened. And in 1992 the first Divine Service was served in the restored Holy Trinity Church.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • In 1236 the monastery was destroyed by the Horde of Khan Batyi.
  • In 1677 - 1678 during the defense of Chyhyryn, Motronynskyi monastery was burnt to the ground and destroyed by Polish troops.
  • In 1685, Metropolitan Gideon of Kyiv blessed the chapel in the caves and the ,,small” church on the old site.
  • In 1805 a stone church was built and consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity. It is retained until now.
  • After the October revolution of 1917, Motronynskyi monastery, at that time a female nunnery, continued to work.
  • In 1236 the monastery was destroyed by the Horde of Khan Batyi.
  • In 1677 - 1678 during the defense of Chyhyryn, Motronynskyi monastery was burnt to the ground and destroyed by Polish troops.
  • In 1685, Metropolitan Gideon of Kyiv blessed the chapel in the caves and the ,,small” church on the old site.
  • In 1805 a stone church was built and consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity. It is retained until now.
  • After the October revolution of 1917, Motronynskyi monastery, at that time a female nunnery, continued to work.