Nikolaev

“Staroflotski kazarmy” (lit. “Old Navy Barracks”).

Description

  • Navy barracks («kazarmy”) is a part of house complex of the Mykolaiv Admiralty.
  • They were built in the 1840s in the style of classicism under the design of architect Karl (Charles) Ackroyd for the Maritime Department headquartered in the city.
  • Nowadays it is “Staroflotski kazarmy” complex (lit. “Old Navy Barracks”), a landmark of national significance.

Navy barracks («kazarmy”) is a part of house complex of the Mykolaiv Admiralty. They were built in the 1840s in the style of classicism under the design of architect Karl (Charles) Ackroyd for the Maritime Department headquartered in the city. Nowadays it is “Staroflotski kazarmy” complex (lit. “Old Navy Barracks”), a landmark of national significance. The Regional Local Lore Museum bearing the same name is located in one of the building of the complex and it is an architectural landmark of Mykolaiv and one of the best in Ukraine.

Navy barracks («kazarmy”) is a part of house complex of the Mykolaiv Admiralty. They were built in the 1840s in the style of classicism under the design of architect Karl (Charles) Ackroyd for the Maritime Department headquartered in the city. Nowadays it is “Staroflotski kazarmy” complex (lit. “Old Navy Barracks”), a landmark of national significance. The Regional Local Lore Museum bearing the same name is located in one of the building of the complex and it is an architectural landmark of Mykolaiv and one of the best in Ukraine.

How to get there?

Fixed-route taxi No.81. Trolley-bus No.6.

HISTORY

  • Admiral Greig who was the Black Sea Fleet Commander until 1833, was dreaming of building barracks.
  • His dream came true under his successor - Admiral M.P. Lazarev.
  • The complex of barracks was built in the middle of XIX century in the style of late English classicism under the design of Karl (Charles) Ackroyd, architect of the Black Sea Admiralty Department.
  • It consists of three identical U-shaped buildings made from shell rock.

Admiral Greig who was the Black Sea Fleet Commander until 1833, was dreaming of building barracks. His dream came true under his successor - Admiral M.P. Lazarev.

The complex of barracks was built in the middle of XIX century in the style of late English classicism under the design of Karl (Charles) Ackroyd, architect of the Black Sea Admiralty Department. It consists of three identical U-shaped buildings made from shell rock. This type of architectural solution was typical for most buildings of Mykolaiv at that time. The buildings were built for sailors from naval crews.

The buildings have simple facades, reflecting their practical function. They have minimal decor - the walls are decorated only with risalits at the edges, and the center of the building is decorated with pilasters of the Tuscan order. Inside the complex there is a spacious yard, where once there were outbuildings. Each barrack had its own purpose and could accommodate up to 1,500 people.

It was planned to get the barracks to be a part of Admiralteyska Square, but the Crimean war of 1853-1856 interfered into the plans. In 1862 the first secondary educational establishment in Mykolaiv – Oleksandrivska Men’s Gymnasium - was opened in one of the barracks. In 1940 the Building-Trade Secondary School was located there (nowadays it is Mykolaiv Construction College of Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture).

The priority purpose was barracks for navy crews. It was an important issue for Mykolaiv to accommodate navy divisions. Crews were of three types - sea, port and working. In Soviet times a group of workers dealing with building and repairing Naval Forces ships was accommodated there.

In 1999 Mykolaiv Regional Council decided to hand over the “Staroflotski kazarmy” to Mykolaiv Regional Local Lore Museum. The repair works of one of former barracks have been completed before 2012. In six months there was a new display in 18 exhibition halls there. It shows natural and ecological peculiar features of the region and the history of the North Black Sea lands from the Stone Age to the Middle Ages. In addition to the permanent exposition, the museum has exhibition halls, where art and historical exhibitions are periodically displayed.

Admiral Greig who was the Black Sea Fleet Commander until 1833, was dreaming of building barracks. His dream came true under his successor - Admiral M.P. Lazarev.

The complex of barracks was built in the middle of XIX century in the style of late English classicism under the design of Karl (Charles) Ackroyd, architect of the Black Sea Admiralty Department. It consists of three identical U-shaped buildings made from shell rock. This type of architectural solution was typical for most buildings of Mykolaiv at that time. The buildings were built for sailors from naval crews.

The buildings have simple facades, reflecting their practical function. They have minimal decor - the walls are decorated only with risalits at the edges, and the center of the building is decorated with pilasters of the Tuscan order. Inside the complex there is a spacious yard, where once there were outbuildings. Each barrack had its own purpose and could accommodate up to 1,500 people.

It was planned to get the barracks to be a part of Admiralteyska Square, but the Crimean war of 1853-1856 interfered into the plans. In 1862 the first secondary educational establishment in Mykolaiv – Oleksandrivska Men’s Gymnasium - was opened in one of the barracks. In 1940 the Building-Trade Secondary School was located there (nowadays it is Mykolaiv Construction College of Kyiv National University of Construction and Architecture).

The priority purpose was barracks for navy crews. It was an important issue for Mykolaiv to accommodate navy divisions. Crews were of three types - sea, port and working. In Soviet times a group of workers dealing with building and repairing Naval Forces ships was accommodated there.

In 1999 Mykolaiv Regional Council decided to hand over the “Staroflotski kazarmy” to Mykolaiv Regional Local Lore Museum. The repair works of one of former barracks have been completed before 2012. In six months there was a new display in 18 exhibition halls there. It shows natural and ecological peculiar features of the region and the history of the North Black Sea lands from the Stone Age to the Middle Ages. In addition to the permanent exposition, the museum has exhibition halls, where art and historical exhibitions are periodically displayed.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • There is a monument to the Hero of the defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855, sailor Hnat Shevchenko, it is standing in front of the western building (where Mykolaiv Construction College is located). The portrait sculpture is a copy of the first monument to a ranker in the Russian Empire, which was erected in August 1874.
  • Mykolaiv Regional Local Lore Museum located in one of buildings of has the largest collection of materials and documents on history and culture of the Southern Pribuzhye and the city of Mykolaiv.
  • The future plans are to repair one more barrack building and create a museum center with various museum institutions, art salons, antique shops and old book stores, a green theater, special grounds for festivals and historical performances, a windmill, a retro cinema, etc.
  • There is a monument to the Hero of the defense of Sevastopol in 1854-1855, sailor Hnat Shevchenko, it is standing in front of the western building (where Mykolaiv Construction College is located). The portrait sculpture is a copy of the first monument to a ranker in the Russian Empire, which was erected in August 1874.
  • Mykolaiv Regional Local Lore Museum located in one of buildings of has the largest collection of materials and documents on history and culture of the Southern Pribuzhye and the city of Mykolaiv.
  • The future plans are to repair one more barrack building and create a museum center with various museum institutions, art salons, antique shops and old book stores, a green theater, special grounds for festivals and historical performances, a windmill, a retro cinema, etc.