Nikolaev

Turkish Fountain

Description

  • Turkish fountain is located at Spasske natural boundary, on the territory of the present yacht club.
  • It is one of the oldest city facilities. It is located next to the palace of Prince Grigory Potemkin, the residence of the Black Sea Naval Forces Commander.

Description Turkish fountain is located at Spasske natural boundary, on the territory of the present yacht club. It is one of the oldest city facilities. It is located next to the palace of Prince Grigory Potemkin, the residence of the Black Sea Naval Forces Commander. The water transmission to the fountain was carried out through pipes from Spasske water spring. In 1843-1849 the architectural complex was reconstructed in the Moorish taste under supervision of architect Karl Ackroyd. After the fire in 1919 the palace was dismantled. In 2016 the Turkish fountain was reconstructed and water was launched in it again. The fountain is a hydrological natural monument of local significance.

Description Turkish fountain is located at Spasske natural boundary, on the territory of the present yacht club. It is one of the oldest city facilities. It is located next to the palace of Prince Grigory Potemkin, the residence of the Black Sea Naval Forces Commander. The water transmission to the fountain was carried out through pipes from Spasske water spring. In 1843-1849 the architectural complex was reconstructed in the Moorish taste under supervision of architect Karl Ackroyd. After the fire in 1919 the palace was dismantled. In 2016 the Turkish fountain was reconstructed and water was launched in it again. The fountain is a hydrological natural monument of local significance.

Moreinfo · Turkish fountain | Mykolaiv - Moreinfo

How to get there?

HISTORY

  • In the first years since the foundation of Mykolaiv former Faber’s dacha (future Spassk) served as a summer residence of the Black Sea Fleet Commander.
  • Here in 1789-1790 there was a construction of the palace for Prince Grigory Potemkin designed by architect I.Starov under supervision of engineer-lieutenant S.Grigoriev.

In the first years since the foundation of Mykolaiv former Faber’s dacha (future Spassk) served as a summer residence of the Black Sea Fleet Commander. Here in 1789-1790 there was a construction of the palace for Prince Grigory Potemkin designed by architect I.Starov under supervision of engineer-lieutenant S.Grigoriev. The first floor was made from stone, the second one - from wood. The palace ended with an elegant belvedere. It was surrounded by a gallery from three sides. Later, a fountain was built nearby. Water was supplied to the fountain through pipes from Spassky water spring (the territory of a modern-day stadium). Prince Grigory Potemkin discovered sacral meaning of the place and dreamt of building Spasso-Mykolaivsky men’s monastery. The Prince Potemkin wishes to spend his last years just in Mykolaiv, next to the healthful water spring, upon completing the cadence. The Potemkin Palace started being damaged in the course of time. In 1843-1849 the Palace complex was renovated in the Moorish taste under supervision of English architect Karl Ackroyd: turrets have been put on the roof, minarets and galleries have been decorated with openwork bars. The renovated Turkish fountain was nearby. A little further away, near the Spassky Pier, an obelisk was erected with date "1849" on it; the date marked the year when the construction of the complex has been completed. It was just near the Spassky Pier where warships stocked up on water from a water spring connected to the fountain. The fountain is made in a form of a cube with urns at the corners. On the facade, where the water spring burst forth, there is a stylized turban in bold relief at the top, that is why the fountain got its name "Turkish" or "Sultan". The Palace got burned in 1919 and was dismantled. The fountain and the yacht-club constructed in 1904 in Neo-Renaissance style, survived. The water spring stopped in 2004. Only 12 years later, in summer 2016, the restoration works of the landmark resumed. In autumn 2016 the unveiling ceremony of the renovated fountain took place.

In the first years since the foundation of Mykolaiv former Faber’s dacha (future Spassk) served as a summer residence of the Black Sea Fleet Commander. Here in 1789-1790 there was a construction of the palace for Prince Grigory Potemkin designed by architect I.Starov under supervision of engineer-lieutenant S.Grigoriev. The first floor was made from stone, the second one - from wood. The palace ended with an elegant belvedere. It was surrounded by a gallery from three sides. Later, a fountain was built nearby. Water was supplied to the fountain through pipes from Spassky water spring (the territory of a modern-day stadium). Prince Grigory Potemkin discovered sacral meaning of the place and dreamt of building Spasso-Mykolaivsky men’s monastery. The Prince Potemkin wishes to spend his last years just in Mykolaiv, next to the healthful water spring, upon completing the cadence. The Potemkin Palace started being damaged in the course of time. In 1843-1849 the Palace complex was renovated in the Moorish taste under supervision of English architect Karl Ackroyd: turrets have been put on the roof, minarets and galleries have been decorated with openwork bars. The renovated Turkish fountain was nearby. A little further away, near the Spassky Pier, an obelisk was erected with date "1849" on it; the date marked the year when the construction of the complex has been completed. It was just near the Spassky Pier where warships stocked up on water from a water spring connected to the fountain. The fountain is made in a form of a cube with urns at the corners. On the facade, where the water spring burst forth, there is a stylized turban in bold relief at the top, that is why the fountain got its name "Turkish" or "Sultan". The Palace got burned in 1919 and was dismantled. The fountain and the yacht-club constructed in 1904 in Neo-Renaissance style, survived. The water spring stopped in 2004. Only 12 years later, in summer 2016, the restoration works of the landmark resumed. In autumn 2016 the unveiling ceremony of the renovated fountain took place.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • In 1784 a large plot of land in the west of Mykolaiv peninsula was handed over to Franz Fabre, merchant of Austrian origin. A stone house, a mill and a fountain were built here. In 1789, Faber's dacha was renamed and got the name of Spask because Grigory Potemkin planned to build the Spasso-Mykolaivsky men’s monastery on this place.
  • In 1784 a large plot of land in the west of Mykolaiv peninsula was handed over to Franz Fabre, merchant of Austrian origin. A stone house, a mill and a fountain were built here. In 1789, Faber's dacha was renamed and got the name of Spask because Grigory Potemkin planned to build the Spasso-Mykolaivsky men’s monastery on this place.