Cherkasy region

Bohdan Khmelnytskyi's Castle

Description

Castle is the castle site of the Khmelnytsky family estate, which is about 2 hectares.

Castle is the castle site of the Khmelnytsky family estate, which is about 2 hectares. In the middle of the XVII century Subotiv was the country residence of Bohdan Khmelnytsky. There lived hetman and his family, a Cossack sergeant, servants and invited guests. There was a house of the hetman, economic and defensive structures on the territory of the castle.

Castle is the castle site of the Khmelnytsky family estate, which is about 2 hectares. In the middle of the XVII century Subotiv was the country residence of Bohdan Khmelnytsky. There lived hetman and his family, a Cossack sergeant, servants and invited guests. There was a house of the hetman, economic and defensive structures on the territory of the castle.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The townhouse was considered wrongly as the ruins of the hetman's house in the XIX century.

The castle's defending structures included four towers: three wooden and one stone. The remains of stone one can be seen in the protective pavilion in the northern part of the castle. Kamyanytsia is a monument of history and architecture of local meaning. They are authentic foundations of the defensive tower of the XVII century. It was used gutter bricks and local sandstone, fastened with lime mortar during the masonry of the building. The thickness of the northern and southern walls reaches 2.65 meters, western and eastern - 1.65 meters. The height of the building was about 15 meters in the XVII century.

The townhouse was considered wrongly as the ruins of the hetman's house in the XIX century.
It’s believed that the castle site was destroyed during the attack by Polish army led by Stefan Czarnecki in 1664. But the possibility of this event and date, referring to newly discovered historical sources, is low. It is possible that the estate of the hetman was seriously damaged during the second Chigirin campaign in 1678.

The castle's defending structures included four towers: three wooden and one stone. The remains of stone one can be seen in the protective pavilion in the northern part of the castle. Kamyanytsia is a monument of history and architecture of local meaning. They are authentic foundations of the defensive tower of the XVII century. It was used gutter bricks and local sandstone, fastened with lime mortar during the masonry of the building. The thickness of the northern and southern walls reaches 2.65 meters, western and eastern - 1.65 meters. The height of the building was about 15 meters in the XVII century.

The townhouse was considered wrongly as the ruins of the hetman's house in the XIX century.
It’s believed that the castle site was destroyed during the attack by Polish army led by Stefan Czarnecki in 1664. But the possibility of this event and date, referring to newly discovered historical sources, is low. It is possible that the estate of the hetman was seriously damaged during the second Chigirin campaign in 1678.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The townhouse was considered wrongly as the ruins of the hetman's house in the XIX century
  • In the middle of the XVII century Subotiv was the country residence of Bohdan Khmelnytsky
  • The townhouse was considered wrongly as the ruins of the hetman's house in the XIX century
  • In the middle of the XVII century Subotiv was the country residence of Bohdan Khmelnytsky