Genichesk

Public Garden of Glory

Description

  • In the place of the present Public Garden of Glory, the first settlers of Henichesk built a wooden church in 1822, which the Anglo-French Navy destroyed in 1855 during the Crimean War.

In the place of the present Public Garden of Glory, the first settlers of Henichesk built a wooden church in 1822, which the Anglo-French Navy destroyed in 1855 during the Crimean War.In 1870, at the request of the residents of Henichesk, instead of the wooden church, exactly where the Grieving Mother now stands, was built the white-stone Assumption Cathedral. Here, to this place, our ancestors came in sadness and in joy.The clergy, benefactors of the church, and honorary residents were buried near the walls of the cathedral in the church cemetery. Thus, the first Christian cemetery has appeared on the site of the Public Garden.

In the place of the present Public Garden of Glory, the first settlers of Henichesk built a wooden church in 1822, which the Anglo-French Navy destroyed in 1855 during the Crimean War.In 1870, at the request of the residents of Henichesk, instead of the wooden church, exactly where the Grieving Mother now stands, was built the white-stone Assumption Cathedral. Here, to this place, our ancestors came in sadness and in joy.The clergy, benefactors of the church, and honorary residents were buried near the walls of the cathedral in the church cemetery. Thus, the first Christian cemetery has appeared on the site of the Public Garden.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • On October 30, 1943, at 4:00 am, the combatants of the 993thRifle Regiment of the 4thUkrainian Front liberated Henicheskfrom the Nazi invaders. In 1965, a memorial stone was set in their honor in the Public Garden of Glory.
  • During the years of World War II, 1,300 residents of Henicheskfought with the enemy, 227 of them died in battles. By the 30thanniversary of the liberation of the city, namely October 30, 1973, in honor of the fellow countrymen,a sculptural ensemble was opened, consisting of the sculpture “Grieving Mother”, a stella, and an obelisk in the Public Garden of Glory.

In 1936, the Assumption Cathedral was looted and destroyed. The priests were repressed even earlier. Almost all of them died in the torture-chambers of the NKVD (People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs).A witness of those terrible events told that when they were shooting the domes, people cried and prayed, and the churchwardenwent crazy and covered the walls of the templewith his own body.

Shortly afterward, the Second World War began, and the Germans, the Romanians, and then the Croats, the Croatian Maritime Legion, came to Henichesk. On the site of the destroyed temple, next to a small church cemetery, a new one,German-Croatian,has appeared.

In 1936, the Assumption Cathedral was looted and destroyed. The priests were repressed even earlier. Almost all of them died in the torture-chambers of the NKVD (People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs).A witness of those terrible events told that when they were shooting the domes, people cried and prayed, and the churchwardenwent crazy and covered the walls of the templewith his own body.

Shortly afterward, the Second World War began, and the Germans, the Romanians, and then the Croats, the Croatian Maritime Legion, came to Henichesk. On the site of the destroyed temple, next to a small church cemetery, a new one,German-Croatian,has appeared.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The Public Garden of Glory over the years of its existence had a different appearance. In 1822, it was a church, in 1870—the Assumption Cathedral and the Christian cemetery, and after the war—the German-Croatian one.
  • On October 30, 1973, by the 30th anniversary of the liberation of the city, a sculptural ensemble was opened, consisting of the sculpture “Grieving Mother”, a stella, and an obelisk.
  • The Public Garden of Glory over the years of its existence had a different appearance. In 1822, it was a church, in 1870—the Assumption Cathedral and the Christian cemetery, and after the war—the German-Croatian one.
  • On October 30, 1973, by the 30th anniversary of the liberation of the city, a sculptural ensemble was opened, consisting of the sculpture “Grieving Mother”, a stella, and an obelisk.