Kaniv

The Temple of the Holy Mother of God

Description

  • The Church of the Intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary was built in the 16th century from natural wood.

The Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos rises on the Black Mountain, which is also called Tarasova. It was built in the 16th century from natural wood. The church consists of three domes, each of which has one small window. It was repeatedly damaged and burned, but as a result it was restored, retaining its former appearance and materials.

The Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Theotokos rises on the Black Mountain, which is also called Tarasova. It was built in the 16th century from natural wood. The church consists of three domes, each of which has one small window. It was repeatedly damaged and burned, but as a result it was restored, retaining its former appearance and materials.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The temple existed at this place in the XVII-XVIII centuries.
  • In 1678, it was finally destroyed by the Turks and Tatars.
  • In 1781, the French artist J.-A. arrived at this place. Münz and sketched it. And his drawing became the basis for the project of reconstruction of the temple.
  • What happened to her next is unknown. But in our present time it was decided to restore it. In 2014, it was restored to the 200th anniversary of the birth of Taras Shevchenko.

The temple existed at this place in the XVII-XVIII centuries. He was the spiritual center of the Kanevsky Holy Intercession Orthodox Monastery. The temple was repeatedly damaged and burned. In 1678, it was finally destroyed by the Turks and Tatars. But it was still updated on the initiative of the hetman Ivan Mazepa and the Pereyaslav Bishop Zakharevich by Kazami-monks in the monastery of Monastyrok near Chernecha mountain. The temple was transferred to the Assumption Cathedral destroyed at that time. In 1781, the French artist J.-A. arrived at this place. Münz and sketched it. And his drawing became the basis for the project of reconstruction of the temple. And thus the former Assumption Cathedral became the Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God.

What happened to her next is unknown. But in our present time it was decided to restore it. In 2014, it was restored to the 200th anniversary of the birth of Taras Shevchenko.

Before it was restored, it took several decades. Zinaida Tarakhan-Bereza, a leading researcher at the Shevchenko National Reserve, spent all this time searching for sources that confirmed the existence of the Holy Protection Monastery at the western foot of Chernechei Mountain, the spiritual center of which was the Cossack Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God. It has been studied many historical sources, so that today's copy was most similar to the original. Then the called upon masters of the construction of wooden churches from the village of Sokolovka, Kosovo district, Ivano-Frankivsk region, took up the task. The wooden carved iconostasis was made by specialists from the art and decoration workshop from the city of Zolotonosha.

The temple existed at this place in the XVII-XVIII centuries. He was the spiritual center of the Kanevsky Holy Intercession Orthodox Monastery. The temple was repeatedly damaged and burned. In 1678, it was finally destroyed by the Turks and Tatars. But it was still updated on the initiative of the hetman Ivan Mazepa and the Pereyaslav Bishop Zakharevich by Kazami-monks in the monastery of Monastyrok near Chernecha mountain. The temple was transferred to the Assumption Cathedral destroyed at that time. In 1781, the French artist J.-A. arrived at this place. Münz and sketched it. And his drawing became the basis for the project of reconstruction of the temple. And thus the former Assumption Cathedral became the Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God.

What happened to her next is unknown. But in our present time it was decided to restore it. In 2014, it was restored to the 200th anniversary of the birth of Taras Shevchenko.

Before it was restored, it took several decades. Zinaida Tarakhan-Bereza, a leading researcher at the Shevchenko National Reserve, spent all this time searching for sources that confirmed the existence of the Holy Protection Monastery at the western foot of Chernechei Mountain, the spiritual center of which was the Cossack Church of the Intercession of the Most Holy Mother of God. It has been studied many historical sources, so that today's copy was most similar to the original. Then the called upon masters of the construction of wooden churches from the village of Sokolovka, Kosovo district, Ivano-Frankivsk region, took up the task. The wooden carved iconostasis was made by specialists from the art and decoration workshop from the city of Zolotonosha.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • Among the benefactors of the temple are Hetmans Bogdan Khmelnitsky, Ivan Vyhovsky, Yury Khmelnitsky, Pavlo Teterya, Ivan Bryukhovetsky and Petro Doroshenko.
  • Also, the temple is also called Taras Church. And they gave this name for a reason: they say that Taras Shevchenko wanted to get a plot here, but he did not realize it. After his death, his remains were buried at the very top of the mountain and marked with a cross. And not only he is buried in this monastery. Also well-known hetmans Ivan Podkova, Yakov Shah and Samoylo Koshka.
  • Among the benefactors of the temple are Hetmans Bogdan Khmelnitsky, Ivan Vyhovsky, Yury Khmelnitsky, Pavlo Teterya, Ivan Bryukhovetsky and Petro Doroshenko.
  • Also, the temple is also called Taras Church. And they gave this name for a reason: they say that Taras Shevchenko wanted to get a plot here, but he did not realize it. After his death, his remains were buried at the very top of the mountain and marked with a cross. And not only he is buried in this monastery. Also well-known hetmans Ivan Podkova, Yakov Shah and Samoylo Koshka.