Kaniv

The Museum of Folk-Decorative Arts

Description

  • The museum popularizes the applied arts, culture and everyday life of Cherkasy, Kyiv, Poltava and other regions of Ukraine.
  • Different types of folk art are represented in the exposition: carpet weaving, knitting, embroidery, ceramics, carving and wood painting, artistic leather treatment, glass, porcelain, folk painting.

The Museum of Folk Decorative Arts Kanivschiny is located in the central part of the city near the Cathedral Square, which for centuries was the administrative center of Kaniv.

It is one of the most colorful museums that shows the culture and everyday life of Cherkasy, Kyiv, Poltava and other regions of Ukraine. The museum exhibits various types of folk art: carpet weaving, weaving, knitting, embroidery, ceramics, carving and wood painting, artistic leather treatment, glass, porcelain, folk painting and others.

The decoration of the collection is a collection of Ukrainian folk costumes XIX - early. XX century and traditional women's jewelry.

The Museum of Folk Decorative Arts Kanivschiny is located in the central part of the city near the Cathedral Square, which for centuries was the administrative center of Kaniv.

It is one of the most colorful museums that shows the culture and everyday life of Cherkasy, Kyiv, Poltava and other regions of Ukraine. The museum exhibits various types of folk art: carpet weaving, weaving, knitting, embroidery, ceramics, carving and wood painting, artistic leather treatment, glass, porcelain, folk painting and others.

The decoration of the collection is a collection of Ukrainian folk costumes XIX - early. XX century and traditional women's jewelry.

How to get there?

HISTORY

  • The museum was founded in 1972 and was located in the premises of the Assumption Cathedral until 1990.
  • In 1990, the museum collection was moved to the former Vasilian School, a monument of architecture of the XVIII century.
  • The museum's fund has more than 6 thousand exhibits. The decoration of the collection is the works of Maria Prymachenko, Marfa Timchenko, Tetyana Patia, Theodore Panka, Vera Pavlenko, Galina Bondarenko, Hero of Ukraine Vira Royik and many other famous craftsmen of folk art.
  • Exhibitions of contemporary artists are constantly operating in three exhibition halls of the museum.

The museum was created in 1972 and was originally located in the building of the Assumption Cathedral, an architectural monument of Kyiv Rus national significance at the beginning of the XII century, the oldest stone building in the middle of the Dnieper.

As a result of revitalization of religious life in Ukraine and the return of religious buildings to religious communities, in 1990 the museum collection of arts and crafts and applied arts was moved to the premises of the former Vasylian school, architectural monuments of the XVIII century.

The basis of the museum collection were antiquities and works of fine, folk-applied, applied arts, including a collection of brass glass, traditional Ukrainian clothing and folk household items, mainly from the three central regions of Ukraine - Cherkassy, Kyiv and Poltava, transferred to the museum of art exhibitions Ukraine, private collections and made by leading masters on special orders.

The museum's fund includes more than 6 thousand exhibits, including archeological artifacts - ceramic products of Trypillian culture, cradles of the Kievan Rus period, glass things of the 16th-17th centuries, women's decorations with corals and ducklings, etc.

The unique collection collection was made by the winners of the Taras Shevchenko National Prize of Ukraine, a national artist, a world-famous representative of "naive art" by Maria Prymachenko, folk artist Danylo Narbut, a master of Petrikov painting and decorative painting by Martha Timchenko, masters of the Petrikov painting - deserved masters of folk art, masters Petrykiv painting by Tatyana Paty, Theodore Panka, Vira Pavlenko; Honored Artist of Ukraine Tamara Gordova and many other well-known artists.

In the three exhibition halls of the museum there are constantly exhibitions that introduce the visitors to the works of contemporary artists, the stock collection of the museum and open new names on the creative sky of Ukrainian culture.

The museum was created in 1972 and was originally located in the building of the Assumption Cathedral, an architectural monument of Kyiv Rus national significance at the beginning of the XII century, the oldest stone building in the middle of the Dnieper.

As a result of revitalization of religious life in Ukraine and the return of religious buildings to religious communities, in 1990 the museum collection of arts and crafts and applied arts was moved to the premises of the former Vasylian school, architectural monuments of the XVIII century.

The basis of the museum collection were antiquities and works of fine, folk-applied, applied arts, including a collection of brass glass, traditional Ukrainian clothing and folk household items, mainly from the three central regions of Ukraine - Cherkassy, Kyiv and Poltava, transferred to the museum of art exhibitions Ukraine, private collections and made by leading masters on special orders.

The museum's fund includes more than 6 thousand exhibits, including archeological artifacts - ceramic products of Trypillian culture, cradles of the Kievan Rus period, glass things of the 16th-17th centuries, women's decorations with corals and ducklings, etc.

The unique collection collection was made by the winners of the Taras Shevchenko National Prize of Ukraine, a national artist, a world-famous representative of "naive art" by Maria Prymachenko, folk artist Danylo Narbut, a master of Petrikov painting and decorative painting by Martha Timchenko, masters of the Petrikov painting - deserved masters of folk art, masters Petrykiv painting by Tatyana Paty, Theodore Panka, Vira Pavlenko; Honored Artist of Ukraine Tamara Gordova and many other well-known artists.

In the three exhibition halls of the museum there are constantly exhibitions that introduce the visitors to the works of contemporary artists, the stock collection of the museum and open new names on the creative sky of Ukrainian culture.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • In 1784, at the expense of the nephew of the Polish king Stanislaw Augustus Poniatowski, a building of the Basilian School was built. The two-storeyed building was transferred to the monks for school, and next year the special royal commission recognized the Kaniv Parish school higher.
  • In 1787 the Polish king Stanislaw August Poniatowski visited the building.
  • In 1833, the Basilian monastery in Kaniv was closed, and the school was subordinated to the Kiev educational district. After that, the Nobility School was placed here, later - a two-class city school, and since 1919, the Kaniv City School No. 1 named. Taras Shevchenko.
  • At various times, the famous writer Vasyl Gnilosyrov taught them; future Ukrainian philologists, historians, writers, journalists, brothers Alexey (pseud.-ol. Kanivets) and Mitrofan Andrievsky, literary scholar and writer Konstantin Arazhin (pseud.-K. Nedolya), writers, brothers Oleksa (pseudo-Oleksa Kobets) and Gregory (pseudo-V.Steblyk) Barabbas, poets Grigory Donets, Victor Lagoda, Katerina Pika and others.
  • In 1784, at the expense of the nephew of the Polish king Stanislaw Augustus Poniatowski, a building of the Basilian School was built. The two-storeyed building was transferred to the monks for school, and next year the special royal commission recognized the Kaniv Parish school higher.
  • In 1787 the Polish king Stanislaw August Poniatowski visited the building.
  • In 1833, the Basilian monastery in Kaniv was closed, and the school was subordinated to the Kiev educational district. After that, the Nobility School was placed here, later - a two-class city school, and since 1919, the Kaniv City School No. 1 named. Taras Shevchenko.
  • At various times, the famous writer Vasyl Gnilosyrov taught them; future Ukrainian philologists, historians, writers, journalists, brothers Alexey (pseud.-ol. Kanivets) and Mitrofan Andrievsky, literary scholar and writer Konstantin Arazhin (pseud.-K. Nedolya), writers, brothers Oleksa (pseudo-Oleksa Kobets) and Gregory (pseudo-V.Steblyk) Barabbas, poets Grigory Donets, Victor Lagoda, Katerina Pika and others.