Odesa

Shah`s palace

Description

  • The palace combines the English Gothic and French classicism.
  • The author of the project and the curator of the construction was the Pole Felix Gonsorovsky
  • From 1909 to 1917, the Persian Shah Mohammad Ali of the Qajar dynasty lived in the palace, escaping from the war in Iran to Odessa

The Shah's Palace is an architectural monument of the XIX century, one of the most beautiful buildings and sights of Odessa.


Located on Gogol Street, 2, this palace is the Odessa architectural monument. It is made of shell, lined with Inkerman stone.

The Shah's Palace is an architectural monument of the XIX century, one of the most beautiful buildings and sights of Odessa.


Located on Gogol Street, 2, this palace is the Odessa architectural monument. It is made of shell, lined with Inkerman stone.

How to get there?

The closest to the building along Gogol Street is the “Sabaneev Bridge” stop, to which 137 minibus runs. A few minutes from the building there is also a stop “Sofiyskaya Street”, where minibuses 117, 121, 130, 137, 145, 146, 170, 220A, 242 and 68 take a shuttle bus.

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • Le palais a été construit pour le magnat polonais Zenona Brzhozovskogo
  • Dalles de placage de pierre Inkerman Palais
  • Fenêtres ogivales, des arcs et des tours crénelées octogonal du palais l'impression d'un château médiéval

The palace was built in 1851-1852 in the Neo-Gothic style, designed by the architect F.V. Gonsiorovsky for the Polish tycoon Zenon Brzhozovsky.

The two-storeyed palace was built over a high cliff from the local material - shell stone, faced with slabs of Inkerman stone.


The palace complex is L-shaped and consists of four buildings (main, passage, auxiliary and dining).

Arrowed windows, arches and octagonal crenellated towers of the palace give the impression of a medieval castle.


In 1910, the palace passes into the possession of another Pole - Count I. Shenbek, who soon hands over the palace to hire the Persian shah Mohammed Ali.
The eastern ruler was overthrown and expelled from Iraq, subjugated by the beauties of Odessa, he settled here with his harem. The generosity of the Shah and supportive attitude towards the local residents did not remain without due attention: that is why the people began to call the palace "Shah's".


In 1920, the Shah left Odessa, the House of Folk Art was established here, and behind the palace the official name Shahsky was established.

The palace was built in 1851-1852 in the Neo-Gothic style, designed by the architect F.V. Gonsiorovsky for the Polish tycoon Zenon Brzhozovsky.

The two-storeyed palace was built over a high cliff from the local material - shell stone, faced with slabs of Inkerman stone.


The palace complex is L-shaped and consists of four buildings (main, passage, auxiliary and dining).

Arrowed windows, arches and octagonal crenellated towers of the palace give the impression of a medieval castle.


In 1910, the palace passes into the possession of another Pole - Count I. Shenbek, who soon hands over the palace to hire the Persian shah Mohammed Ali.
The eastern ruler was overthrown and expelled from Iraq, subjugated by the beauties of Odessa, he settled here with his harem. The generosity of the Shah and supportive attitude towards the local residents did not remain without due attention: that is why the people began to call the palace "Shah's".


In 1920, the Shah left Odessa, the House of Folk Art was established here, and behind the palace the official name Shahsky was established.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The palace was located on the site where the construction of a military hospital was planned earlier. Because of long-term construction, it was decided to disassemble the building, and the place to give for the building of the palace
  • Stone for the facing of the palace was supplied from the Crimea
  • The palace was practically not damaged during the Second World War, but was destroyed and desolated already in peacetime, in the first years of Ukraine's independence
  • Capital restoration was carried out in 2000-2004, thanks to which it was possible to preserve the architectural ensemble
  • The main staircase and the vestibule of the palace remained in their original form


  • The palace was located on the site where the construction of a military hospital was planned earlier. Because of long-term construction, it was decided to disassemble the building, and the place to give for the building of the palace
  • Stone for the facing of the palace was supplied from the Crimea
  • The palace was practically not damaged during the Second World War, but was destroyed and desolated already in peacetime, in the first years of Ukraine's independence
  • Capital restoration was carried out in 2000-2004, thanks to which it was possible to preserve the architectural ensemble
  • The main staircase and the vestibule of the palace remained in their original form