Nikolaev

*8 PRICHAL

Description

  • A river-boat station is a landmark in the history of the life of Mykolaiv. In the past it was a city gate, nowadays it is an art-zone *8th QUAY. A large part of public and cultural life of Mykolaiv is centered over here.

A river-boat station is a landmark in the history of the life of Mykolaiv. In the past it was a city gate, nowadays it is an art-zone *8th QUAY. A large part of public and cultural life of
Mykolaiv is centered over here.
The opening of the art-zone has created a precedent in the city – it was the place where progressive residents of the city could meet and feel that it’s meant for creative projects and innovation solutions focused on development of Mykolaiv.
This place is an integration of the past and the future, when dreams of admirals and governors of XIX centuries found new senses in XXI century. At present, as two centuries ago, the territory of the quay is a specific opportunity to get rich experience.

A river-boat station is a landmark in the history of the life of Mykolaiv. In the past it was a city gate, nowadays it is an art-zone *8th QUAY. A large part of public and cultural life of
Mykolaiv is centered over here.
The opening of the art-zone has created a precedent in the city – it was the place where progressive residents of the city could meet and feel that it’s meant for creative projects and innovation solutions focused on development of Mykolaiv.
This place is an integration of the past and the future, when dreams of admirals and governors of XIX centuries found new senses in XXI century. At present, as two centuries ago, the territory of the quay is a specific opportunity to get rich experience.

Moreinfo · *8 Prichal | Mykolaiv - Moreinfo

How to get there?

Bus number 63, number 52, streetcar number 1.

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The history of *8th QUAY, being Mykolaiv river-boat-station in the past, started in 1882, when funds had been allocated to build a quayside.
  • The Russian Steamship Joint-Stock Company was operating on the Southern Bug.
  • The company owned passenger ships and cargo ships delivering grain, granite, turf.

The history of *8th QUAY, being Mykolaiv river-boat-station in the past, started in 1882, when funds had been allocated to build a quayside. The Russian Steamship Joint-Stock Company was operating on the Southern Bug. The company owned passenger ships and cargo ships delivering grain, granite, turf.

But at the beginning of history of Mykolaiv, the Admiralty for ship construction and repair was founded next to Spasske natural boundary. Prince Grigory Potemkin considered it better to build a shipyard on the Bug than on the Inhul. Admiral Aleksey Greig followed in the footsteps of Potemkin. In 1880 a private shipbuilding yard of engineer Volodin began to operate on this place.

Hydrofoil ships “Raketa” and river boats get moored to rectangular "buckets” which became the monument of the Spasske Admiralty. From this place ships and frigates of the Black Sea Navy Fleet were launched in XIX century.

In 1980 a four-storied building of the station was erected at the place of the Spasske Admiralty. Tens of thousands of people were passing through “water gate” during the navigation season. Speed boats to local cottage zone “Sady” used to depart from here. And speedy and comfortable hydrofoil ships “Raketa” used to go to Kherson and Voznesensk. The station used to be one of the most favorite places of water-based recreation. It was possible even to rent a boat for a school leaving party in order to welcome the break of dawn next to Didova Khata.

At the beginning of 1990s the passenger services drastically reduced and the river-boat station stopped carrying out its function. Instead, restaurants and a billiard-room invited guests at this place. For a long time, the station territory was not well maintained and turned into a place not very attractive for walking or holding city events. In 2018 a reconstruction project was offered for consideration. Its purpose was to restore a historical significance of the
place in combination with a new urban culture – creation of the area focused on cultural development of the city. And shortly thereafter, on July 1, 2018 there was a parade of the Naval Forces of Ukraine and a holiday concert. At present *8th QUAY has returned a status of the most favorite resting-place of Mykolaiv residents.

The history of *8th QUAY, being Mykolaiv river-boat-station in the past, started in 1882, when funds had been allocated to build a quayside. The Russian Steamship Joint-Stock Company was operating on the Southern Bug. The company owned passenger ships and cargo ships delivering grain, granite, turf.

But at the beginning of history of Mykolaiv, the Admiralty for ship construction and repair was founded next to Spasske natural boundary. Prince Grigory Potemkin considered it better to build a shipyard on the Bug than on the Inhul. Admiral Aleksey Greig followed in the footsteps of Potemkin. In 1880 a private shipbuilding yard of engineer Volodin began to operate on this place.

Hydrofoil ships “Raketa” and river boats get moored to rectangular "buckets” which became the monument of the Spasske Admiralty. From this place ships and frigates of the Black Sea Navy Fleet were launched in XIX century.

In 1980 a four-storied building of the station was erected at the place of the Spasske Admiralty. Tens of thousands of people were passing through “water gate” during the navigation season. Speed boats to local cottage zone “Sady” used to depart from here. And speedy and comfortable hydrofoil ships “Raketa” used to go to Kherson and Voznesensk. The station used to be one of the most favorite places of water-based recreation. It was possible even to rent a boat for a school leaving party in order to welcome the break of dawn next to Didova Khata.

At the beginning of 1990s the passenger services drastically reduced and the river-boat station stopped carrying out its function. Instead, restaurants and a billiard-room invited guests at this place. For a long time, the station territory was not well maintained and turned into a place not very attractive for walking or holding city events. In 2018 a reconstruction project was offered for consideration. Its purpose was to restore a historical significance of the
place in combination with a new urban culture – creation of the area focused on cultural development of the city. And shortly thereafter, on July 1, 2018 there was a parade of the Naval Forces of Ukraine and a holiday concert. At present *8th QUAY has returned a status of the most favorite resting-place of Mykolaiv residents.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • In 1880 a private shipbuilding yard of engineer Volodin was operating where *8th QUAY is located now.
  • The remains of one of three springs of Spasske natural boundary are possible to find on a hill near the quayside.
  • Well-known art-object “Middle Way”, or “Blue hand” in common parlance, designed by Romanian designer Bogdan Ratsi, decorated the riverfront at *8th QUAY in 2019.
  • In 1880 a private shipbuilding yard of engineer Volodin was operating where *8th QUAY is located now.
  • The remains of one of three springs of Spasske natural boundary are possible to find on a hill near the quayside.
  • Well-known art-object “Middle Way”, or “Blue hand” in common parlance, designed by Romanian designer Bogdan Ratsi, decorated the riverfront at *8th QUAY in 2019.