Zaporizhzhia

Mennonite colony of settlement Rosenthal

Description

  • The Menonite colony Rosenthal is a historic settlement of immigrants from the West European ethno-confessional group in the right-bank region of modern Zaporozhye - Upper Khortytsia, founded in 1789.
  • It existed as the center of the Khortitsky volost of Yekaterinoslav district. The complex of buildings inherited from the Menonite colony are unique works of architecture.
  • There was an elementary school in every Mennonite settlement - Dorfshule.
  • To become a full member of the Mennonite community, one had to be able to read and interpret the Bible.

Among the monuments that have survived to our time from the Menonite colony Rosenthal Valman Castle is one of the most remarkable architectural monuments, built in Art Nouveau (German modern style). The 3-storey palace with a large number of arched windows, doors and balconies was built in the early twentieth century. The most interesting feature of the building is that each of its four sides looks absolutely original, not like the others.

A special place is occupied: the building of the Mennon school for girls is a real highlight of the architecture, which is one of the visiting cards of Zaporizhzhya. The building was built in 1904 in the Art Nouveau style with elements of the Dutch Renaissance and late Baroque. Its main facade resembles the buildings of Northern Europe. The building of the former Mennonite Teachers College, erected to train teachers for Menonite schools. Today, the 81st school is located in both buildings.

There was an elementary school in each Mennonite settlement — Dorfshule (a rural school), but secondary education could be obtained in Tsentrshule — the central school of each of the Menonite districts. All Mennonite children from 6 to 14 years old attended these schools without fail. This was due to the confessional peculiarities of the Mennonites. The building of such a school is also preserved and located between the buildings of 81 secondary schools. A large wing of this building was built in 1891, it had a small outhouse with a small bell tower and a large clock produced by the local watchmaker Kraeger.

To become a full member of the Mennonite community, one had to be able to read and interpret the Bible. These Protestants were baptized only after an examination of the knowledge of the Holy Scriptures within the walls of the modern House of Culture of the Zaporizhia region, where there was a church or, as the Mennonites said, a church, which was the first and most important in the Khortitsky Mennonite congregation. The Protestant temple was not at all like today's magnificent building with columns. He was much more modest, because the ascetic Mennonites believed that the church should look just so as not to anger God. Within the walls of the modern building, the main hall of the temple has been preserved, where you can even see after the restoration a piece of a real Mennonite shrine to which pilgrims come every year - descendants of the German Mennonites.

Today’s historic ensemble also includes a modern object, the Monument in honor of the Mennonites, who in the thirties became victims of Stalinist repression and religious oppression, established in October 2009. The memorial looks very touching - 3 granite slabs, on each image of a man, a woman and two children, the author is Canadian sculptor Paul Eppa. According to his plan, the monument is a bookshelf with photos from which their heroes were torn out.

Among the monuments that have survived to our time from the Menonite colony Rosenthal Valman Castle is one of the most remarkable architectural monuments, built in Art Nouveau (German modern style). The 3-storey palace with a large number of arched windows, doors and balconies was built in the early twentieth century. The most interesting feature of the building is that each of its four sides looks absolutely original, not like the others.

A special place is occupied: the building of the Mennon school for girls is a real highlight of the architecture, which is one of the visiting cards of Zaporizhzhya. The building was built in 1904 in the Art Nouveau style with elements of the Dutch Renaissance and late Baroque. Its main facade resembles the buildings of Northern Europe. The building of the former Mennonite Teachers College, erected to train teachers for Menonite schools. Today, the 81st school is located in both buildings.

There was an elementary school in each Mennonite settlement — Dorfshule (a rural school), but secondary education could be obtained in Tsentrshule — the central school of each of the Menonite districts. All Mennonite children from 6 to 14 years old attended these schools without fail. This was due to the confessional peculiarities of the Mennonites. The building of such a school is also preserved and located between the buildings of 81 secondary schools. A large wing of this building was built in 1891, it had a small outhouse with a small bell tower and a large clock produced by the local watchmaker Kraeger.

To become a full member of the Mennonite community, one had to be able to read and interpret the Bible. These Protestants were baptized only after an examination of the knowledge of the Holy Scriptures within the walls of the modern House of Culture of the Zaporizhia region, where there was a church or, as the Mennonites said, a church, which was the first and most important in the Khortitsky Mennonite congregation. The Protestant temple was not at all like today's magnificent building with columns. He was much more modest, because the ascetic Mennonites believed that the church should look just so as not to anger God. Within the walls of the modern building, the main hall of the temple has been preserved, where you can even see after the restoration a piece of a real Mennonite shrine to which pilgrims come every year - descendants of the German Mennonites.

Today’s historic ensemble also includes a modern object, the Monument in honor of the Mennonites, who in the thirties became victims of Stalinist repression and religious oppression, established in October 2009. The memorial looks very touching - 3 granite slabs, on each image of a man, a woman and two children, the author is Canadian sculptor Paul Eppa. According to his plan, the monument is a bookshelf with photos from which their heroes were torn out.

How to get there?

By bus No. 76 to the stop “Regional House of Culture”, No. 75 to the stop “Shushenskaya” or by trolleybus No. 8 to the stop “Verkhnyaya Khortytsia”.

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The first Menonite colonies on the banks of the Dnieper appeared in 1789 - 1809.
  • The Mennonite is one of the Protestant religious communities, the name of which comes from the name of its ideological founder, the Dutch country priest Menno Simons (1496-1561).
  • Among others, the Menonite colony Rosenthal was notable for its particular architecture.
  • The vast majority of houses from the end of the XIX - beginning of the XX centuries. executed in art nouveau (German understanding of modernity).

The first Menonite colonies on the banks of the Dnieper appeared in 1789 - 1809. In the city of Zaporozhye, the colony Rosenthal (Upper Khortytsia), which was founded by the Mennonites in 1789, is best preserved.

The Mennonite is one of the religions and Protestant communities, the name of which comes from the name of its ideological founder, the Dutch country priest Menno Simons (1496-1561). The Mennonite farms had high rates of land supply, differed exemplary and highly productive breeds of cattle. Mennonites had small factories, plants, mills, workshops, were engaged, in addition to agriculture, sericulture. They attached particular importance to the upbringing and education of children, they considered literacy as the most important human need, they were distinguished by hard work, a strong social way of life, loyalty to moral and ethical norms.

Among others, the Menonite colony Rosenthal was notable for its particular architecture. The vast majority of houses from the end of the XIX - beginning of the XX centuries. executed in art nouveau (German understanding of modernity). One of the clearest examples of this style on the Upper Khortytsya is the so-called Valman castle. It was built in the early twentieth century. at the expense of local industrialist A. Valman to accommodate a kindergarten. The “castle” is ideally fitted into the landscape of a steep slope of a beam.

The large two-story building of the Mennonite church was the spiritual center of the Mennonites until 1935, in which the church was converted into a cinema. For a short time the building became a church again, in 1941 after the arrival of the Germans. Either during the liberation of Upper Khortitsa, or after it, the building was destroyed and rebuilt in a different form - in the form of a house of culture.

The Jugendstil style also includes the buildings of the Menonite school for the preparation of teachers and the school for girls. They are located in a small square. In 2009, in the square itself, a monument was opened to the “Mennonites, victims of the disasters of Stalinist terror and religious persecution.”

The first Menonite colonies on the banks of the Dnieper appeared in 1789 - 1809. In the city of Zaporozhye, the colony Rosenthal (Upper Khortytsia), which was founded by the Mennonites in 1789, is best preserved.

The Mennonite is one of the religions and Protestant communities, the name of which comes from the name of its ideological founder, the Dutch country priest Menno Simons (1496-1561). The Mennonite farms had high rates of land supply, differed exemplary and highly productive breeds of cattle. Mennonites had small factories, plants, mills, workshops, were engaged, in addition to agriculture, sericulture. They attached particular importance to the upbringing and education of children, they considered literacy as the most important human need, they were distinguished by hard work, a strong social way of life, loyalty to moral and ethical norms.

Among others, the Menonite colony Rosenthal was notable for its particular architecture. The vast majority of houses from the end of the XIX - beginning of the XX centuries. executed in art nouveau (German understanding of modernity). One of the clearest examples of this style on the Upper Khortytsya is the so-called Valman castle. It was built in the early twentieth century. at the expense of local industrialist A. Valman to accommodate a kindergarten. The “castle” is ideally fitted into the landscape of a steep slope of a beam.

The large two-story building of the Mennonite church was the spiritual center of the Mennonites until 1935, in which the church was converted into a cinema. For a short time the building became a church again, in 1941 after the arrival of the Germans. Either during the liberation of Upper Khortitsa, or after it, the building was destroyed and rebuilt in a different form - in the form of a house of culture.

The Jugendstil style also includes the buildings of the Menonite school for the preparation of teachers and the school for girls. They are located in a small square. In 2009, in the square itself, a monument was opened to the “Mennonites, victims of the disasters of Stalinist terror and religious persecution.”

INTERESTING FACTS

  • At the beginning of the XX century. Here the first alliance of nature conservationists was created in Ukraine and in the Russian Empire.
  • Its members closed careers, planted forests, cultivated cultivated plants.
  • The company was housed in the building of the Menonite school for girls.
  • It was the villagers who preserved for descendants a unique natural monument - the 700-year-old Zaporizhia Oak.
  • At the beginning of the XX century. Here the first alliance of nature conservationists was created in Ukraine and in the Russian Empire.
  • Its members closed careers, planted forests, cultivated cultivated plants.
  • The company was housed in the building of the Menonite school for girls.
  • It was the villagers who preserved for descendants a unique natural monument - the 700-year-old Zaporizhia Oak.