Nikolaev

Soborna square

Description

  • A square is an urban matrix. Magistratska (later Soborna) square located in the coastal part of the city took the leading position in the life of Mykolaiv.
  • A representative public center was established on this square prior to the end of XVIII century.

A square is an urban matrix. Magistratska (later Soborna) square located in the coastal part of the city took the leading position in the life of Mykolaiv. A representative public center was established on this square prior to the end of XVIII century. This square had a long axis outstretched along the Inhul and opened to the river with a wide side. At present Soborna square is a favorite place for meetings and walks and it has its own turbulent history.

A square is an urban matrix. Magistratska (later Soborna) square located in the coastal part of the city took the leading position in the life of Mykolaiv. A representative public center was established on this square prior to the end of XVIII century. This square had a long axis outstretched along the Inhul and opened to the river with a wide side. At present Soborna square is a favorite place for meetings and walks and it has its own turbulent history.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The design of the square ascribes to architect Ivan Starov but no document can prove this fact.
  • Military engineer Ivan Kniazev was likely to design the square; he was the author of the first real city plan.
  • Location of the square next to the steep over the Inhul was not chosen accidentally: there was the main entrance to the city over here.

The design of the square ascribes to architect Ivan Starov but no document can prove this fact. Military engineer Ivan Kniazev was likely to design the square; he was the author of the first real city plan. Location of the square next to the steep over the Inhul was not chosen accidentally: there was the main entrance to the city over here.

The organization center of the square was the Magistrate built in severe classicism in the middle of 1793 under Ivan Starov’s project. In 1794 the Magistrate was expropriated by the Maritime Company and its different establishments were located there: Old expedition, Main detention room (as a result, the building went down in history as the Detention Room), since 1914 it was the building of V.V. Vereshchagin Museum of Fine Arts, later on – the Natural and Historical Museum. The Magistrate's Building was demolished in about 1936 with the purpose to expand the area. In 1909 the monument to Peter I was erected before the Magistrate devoted to the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Poltava. The monument was made hurryingly, so over the course of time it was getting destroyed that caused its demolish.

In 1898 a small garden was set out between the Magistrate and Morskoy Boulevard; it was surrounded by a lovely cast-iron grill. The garden was destroyed at the same time as the Magistrate. From the western side of the square the whole residential block was occupied by long one-storey buildings – so-called "stone benches" with a watchtower and a look-out tower which were built in 1793 under Ivan Starov’s project. Fifteen years later, they were probably no longer used for their intended purpose, because the benches were no longer mentioned in the city plan of 1808. Due to old age, the benches were dismantled and in 1826 the Office building (Kontora) above the port was constructed in classical style in their place (Fedor Vunsh was likely to be the architect). This building was destroyed during World War II.

In 1954, the building of the Regional Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine (CPU) was built in place of Kontora. Nowadays Mykolaiv City Council and its executive bodies, as well as editorial offices of local newspapers are located here. From the northern side of the square was Morskoy Boulevard surrounded by an openwork cast-iron lattice with entrance ticket barriers, the Boulevard was set out in 1826 by order of Alexey Greig. Nowadays it is the Flotskyi Boulevard (Fleet Boulevard).The cast-iron lattice was removed after the war and, according to Yu.S. Kriuchkov, well-known researcher of Mykolaiv history, partially installed on the territory of the former Fleet Officers’ Club (now the Mykolaiv Palace of Culture and Arts).

The design of the square ascribes to architect Ivan Starov but no document can prove this fact. Military engineer Ivan Kniazev was likely to design the square; he was the author of the first real city plan. Location of the square next to the steep over the Inhul was not chosen accidentally: there was the main entrance to the city over here.

The organization center of the square was the Magistrate built in severe classicism in the middle of 1793 under Ivan Starov’s project. In 1794 the Magistrate was expropriated by the Maritime Company and its different establishments were located there: Old expedition, Main detention room (as a result, the building went down in history as the Detention Room), since 1914 it was the building of V.V. Vereshchagin Museum of Fine Arts, later on – the Natural and Historical Museum. The Magistrate's Building was demolished in about 1936 with the purpose to expand the area. In 1909 the monument to Peter I was erected before the Magistrate devoted to the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Poltava. The monument was made hurryingly, so over the course of time it was getting destroyed that caused its demolish.

In 1898 a small garden was set out between the Magistrate and Morskoy Boulevard; it was surrounded by a lovely cast-iron grill. The garden was destroyed at the same time as the Magistrate. From the western side of the square the whole residential block was occupied by long one-storey buildings – so-called "stone benches" with a watchtower and a look-out tower which were built in 1793 under Ivan Starov’s project. Fifteen years later, they were probably no longer used for their intended purpose, because the benches were no longer mentioned in the city plan of 1808. Due to old age, the benches were dismantled and in 1826 the Office building (Kontora) above the port was constructed in classical style in their place (Fedor Vunsh was likely to be the architect). This building was destroyed during World War II.

In 1954, the building of the Regional Committee of the Communist Party of Ukraine (CPU) was built in place of Kontora. Nowadays Mykolaiv City Council and its executive bodies, as well as editorial offices of local newspapers are located here. From the northern side of the square was Morskoy Boulevard surrounded by an openwork cast-iron lattice with entrance ticket barriers, the Boulevard was set out in 1826 by order of Alexey Greig. Nowadays it is the Flotskyi Boulevard (Fleet Boulevard).The cast-iron lattice was removed after the war and, according to Yu.S. Kriuchkov, well-known researcher of Mykolaiv history, partially installed on the territory of the former Fleet Officers’ Club (now the Mykolaiv Palace of Culture and Arts).

INTERESTING FACTS

  • Initially the square was called Magistrate Square. In 1869 it was renamed and got the name of Cathedral Square, and in the 1920s it was renamed into Soviet Square in honor of the Soviets of Workers', Soldiers' and Peasants' Deputies.
  • In the 1950s the area was divided into two parts: Lenin Square (nowadays – Soborna square) and a memorial park of paratroopers. This situation remains until now.
  • On the territory of modern Soborna Square there was a part of an ancient archeological site "Settlement Boulevard", which dates back to IV-III centuries B.C. In 2019, an
    archaeological expedition completely explored this part of the archeological site. Along with antiquity artifact, a small basement was discovered, where, according to ancient maps of the city, there was a building of the Magistrate.
  • The building of the City Council constructed in 1954 looks like the official residence of the Queen of Great Britain – Buckingham Palace.
  • Initially the square was called Magistrate Square. In 1869 it was renamed and got the name of Cathedral Square, and in the 1920s it was renamed into Soviet Square in honor of the Soviets of Workers', Soldiers' and Peasants' Deputies.
  • In the 1950s the area was divided into two parts: Lenin Square (nowadays – Soborna square) and a memorial park of paratroopers. This situation remains until now.
  • On the territory of modern Soborna Square there was a part of an ancient archeological site "Settlement Boulevard", which dates back to IV-III centuries B.C. In 2019, an
    archaeological expedition completely explored this part of the archeological site. Along with antiquity artifact, a small basement was discovered, where, according to ancient maps of the city, there was a building of the Magistrate.
  • The building of the City Council constructed in 1954 looks like the official residence of the Queen of Great Britain – Buckingham Palace.