Nikolaev

Theater Monte

Description

  • Theater Monte located at the junction of Admiralska and Liahina streets, has always been an important center of cultural life in Mykolaiv, as well as its center orienting point.

Theater Monte located at the junction of Admiralska and Liahina streets, has always been an important center of cultural life in Mykolaiv, as well as its center orienting point. Despite numerous reconstructions and the addition of a classical portico to the building, the architectural structure still makes a positive impression, decorating the corner of Soborna Square.

Theater Monte located at the junction of Admiralska and Liahina streets, has always been an important center of cultural life in Mykolaiv, as well as its center orienting point. Despite numerous reconstructions and the addition of a classical portico to the building, the architectural structure still makes a positive impression, decorating the corner of Soborna Square.

Moreinfo · Theater Monte | Mykolaiv - Moreinfo

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The original theater building appeared in the city in 1840 owing to Ivan Miller, Prussian citizen.
  • It was his own house located at the junction of Moskovska and Nikolska streets.
  • Mykolaiv people visited this place with pleasure, though they called it “caravan-serai” between themselves.

The original theater building appeared in the city in 1840 owing to Ivan Miller, Prussian citizen. It was his own house located at the junction of Moskovska and Nikolska streets. Mykolaiv people visited this place with pleasure, though they called it “caravan-serai” between themselves. The building did not comply with technical conditions required for public establishment, that’s why the theater had to cease activities.

In 1875 Mykola Arkas, Military Governor of Mykolaiv, insisted on building a new theater to comply with all requirements. The city did not have funds to do that, therefore the initiative to build a theater coming from entrepreneur Karl Monte was highly approved. A new specialized theater was constructed in 1881.

The seating capacity of the theater was 350 seats in the stalls and amphitheater, 36 parterre boxes and dress circle, galleries. Theater furniture has been delivered from
Vienna. Engineer Teofil Brusnytskyi was a design author and supervisor of the construction. The theater was built in pseudo-renaissance, with elements of eclecticism and Art Nouveau. The structure is decorated with architectural details: a balcony on the front of the building facing Admiralska street, an entrance canopy and an attic above it, a balustrade on the edge of the roof with vases mounted on pedestals. The windows are framed with half-columns, sculptures of ancient muses are installed in the niches. The walls are covered with rough-hewn stones. The building was complemented by a small courtyard, a kind of a court of honor (fr. cour d'honneur), framed by bars.

In 1894 merchant Yakov Sheffer bought the theater. In 1898 the new owner renovated the building: the audience hall has been expanded, a stage has been re-equipped, an additional foyer has been built, and the upper balcony has replaced the gallery. The seating capacity of the theater became 1310 seats.


The original theater building appeared in the city in 1840 owing to Ivan Miller, Prussian citizen. It was his own house located at the junction of Moskovska and Nikolska streets. Mykolaiv people visited this place with pleasure, though they called it “caravan-serai” between themselves. The building did not comply with technical conditions required for public establishment, that’s why the theater had to cease activities.

In 1875 Mykola Arkas, Military Governor of Mykolaiv, insisted on building a new theater to comply with all requirements. The city did not have funds to do that, therefore the initiative to build a theater coming from entrepreneur Karl Monte was highly approved. A new specialized theater was constructed in 1881.

The seating capacity of the theater was 350 seats in the stalls and amphitheater, 36 parterre boxes and dress circle, galleries. Theater furniture has been delivered from
Vienna. Engineer Teofil Brusnytskyi was a design author and supervisor of the construction. The theater was built in pseudo-renaissance, with elements of eclecticism and Art Nouveau. The structure is decorated with architectural details: a balcony on the front of the building facing Admiralska street, an entrance canopy and an attic above it, a balustrade on the edge of the roof with vases mounted on pedestals. The windows are framed with half-columns, sculptures of ancient muses are installed in the niches. The walls are covered with rough-hewn stones. The building was complemented by a small courtyard, a kind of a court of honor (fr. cour d'honneur), framed by bars.

In 1894 merchant Yakov Sheffer bought the theater. In 1898 the new owner renovated the building: the audience hall has been expanded, a stage has been re-equipped, an additional foyer has been built, and the upper balcony has replaced the gallery. The seating capacity of the theater became 1310 seats.


INTERESTING FACTS

  • Tickets to theatrical performances at the Sheffer Theater cost starting from 1 ruble and higher. It was possible to buy a upper balcony ticket at 0,50-0,60 rubles.
  • There was no constant theater company, that’s why the following people of art of those times performed on Mykolaiv stage being invited by Sheffer: Mikhail Shchepkin, Feodor Shaliapin, Very Komissarzhevskaya, Adelgeim brothers, Mamont Dalsky, Vsevolov Meyerhold, Vladimir Mayakovsky and so on.
  • Right in front of the eyes of Mykolaiv audience there was a birth and popularization of theater of the greatest Ukrainians. Marko Kropyvnytskyi, Panas Saksahanskyi, Mykola Sadovskyi, Maria Zankovetska, Mykhailo Starytsky, Ivan Karpenko-Karyi performed here.
  • Prima Maria Zankovetska and her make-up artist Maksymilian Faktorowicz – world-known in future Max Factor – visited Mykolaiv together.
  • In August 1986 in Mykolaiv there was the first cinema performance.
  • On March 14, 1900 the opera “Kateryna” by Mykola Arkas had thumping success on its opening night, for first time ever in Ukraine.
  • In 1922 in Luhansk a mobile dramatic group "Shakhtarka Donbasu" was founded, and in autumn 1934 they moved to Mykolaiv, for regular performance at the theater building. On December 1, 1934 there was the first premiere - performance "Optimistic tragedy".
  • Tickets to theatrical performances at the Sheffer Theater cost starting from 1 ruble and higher. It was possible to buy a upper balcony ticket at 0,50-0,60 rubles.
  • There was no constant theater company, that’s why the following people of art of those times performed on Mykolaiv stage being invited by Sheffer: Mikhail Shchepkin, Feodor Shaliapin, Very Komissarzhevskaya, Adelgeim brothers, Mamont Dalsky, Vsevolov Meyerhold, Vladimir Mayakovsky and so on.
  • Right in front of the eyes of Mykolaiv audience there was a birth and popularization of theater of the greatest Ukrainians. Marko Kropyvnytskyi, Panas Saksahanskyi, Mykola Sadovskyi, Maria Zankovetska, Mykhailo Starytsky, Ivan Karpenko-Karyi performed here.
  • Prima Maria Zankovetska and her make-up artist Maksymilian Faktorowicz – world-known in future Max Factor – visited Mykolaiv together.
  • In August 1986 in Mykolaiv there was the first cinema performance.
  • On March 14, 1900 the opera “Kateryna” by Mykola Arkas had thumping success on its opening night, for first time ever in Ukraine.
  • In 1922 in Luhansk a mobile dramatic group "Shakhtarka Donbasu" was founded, and in autumn 1934 they moved to Mykolaiv, for regular performance at the theater building. On December 1, 1934 there was the first premiere - performance "Optimistic tragedy".