Nikolaev

Insurance Company

Description

  • It is a public building erected at the beginning of XX century in which V.V. Vereshchagin
  • It is a landmark and a historical monument of local significance.

It is a public building erected at the beginning of XX century in which V.V. Vereshchagin Mykolaiv Regional Museum of Fine Arts is located. It is a landmark and a historical monument of local significance. The building was constructed in 1904 in the neoclassical style with Art Nouveau elements in the interior. The building served for needs of a representation office of “The Second Russian Fire Insurance Company” in Mykolaiv.

It is a public building erected at the beginning of XX century in which V.V. Vereshchagin Mykolaiv Regional Museum of Fine Arts is located. It is a landmark and a historical monument of local significance. The building was constructed in 1904 in the neoclassical style with Art Nouveau elements in the interior. The building served for needs of a representation office of “The Second Russian Fire Insurance Company” in Mykolaiv.

Moreinfo · Insurance company | Mykolaiv - Moreinfo

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • Capitalist society was actively developing in the first decade of XX century, and a demand for new forms of architecture arose to express power of big capital.
  • Art Nouveau style no longer met the requirements of modern times and architects returned to eclecticism, being called "retro style".
  • New buildings, erected in the Gothic or classical style, got the prefix "neo-".

Capitalist society was actively developing in the first decade of XX century, and a demand for new forms of architecture arose to express power of big capital. Art Nouveau style no longer met the requirements of modern times and architects returned to eclecticism, being called "retro style". New buildings, erected in the Gothic or classical style, got the prefix "neo-". One of the examples of neoclassicism is a building of a representation office of “The Second Russian Fire Insurance Company” in Mykolaiv.

“The Second Russian Fire Insurance Company” was organized in St. Petersburg in 1835. The representation office in Mykolaiv got its own building in 1904. Vladimir Abramovich Buntselman was the main agent and a representative of the company in Mykolaiv. In 1910 another agency was located here – a branch of the Insurance Company “Russia”.

The building fits the building line of the street and it has no traditional classical portico. Rusticated walls on the façade are cut through by large windows decorated with columns standing out of the wall surface.

The central part of the building is noted for a big balcony on the second floor and two columns underneath. The classical architectural rigor is harmoniously combined with picturesque decoration elements. A large variety of windows, balconies and their design, architectural wall decorations - masks, dripstones, caryatids, bars, garlands, head stops, lanterns, pilasters, etc cannot but impress. The main stairs are decorated with herms on turn. The inner bridge connecting two upper halls requires particular attention. Wrought iron gate in the form of openwork iron rods. The interior decoration of the building, being well preserved to this day, puts an emphasis on the Art Nouveau style.

In 1930 the headquarters of the 15th Sivash division led by V.P. Sokolsky were housed in the building. In postwar years and till the early 1980s the building was occupied by Mykolaiv Regional Executive Committee. Mykolaiv City Executive Committee also had pretensions to the house. But the authorities took heed of the request of museum workers and gave permission for V.V. Vereshchagin Mykolaiv Regional Museum of Fine Arts to be housed in the building.

In 1986 the Museum started working in a new spacious building. Thematic sections of the exhibition halls exhibit icon painting, art of XVIII-XX centuries, works of Ukrainian, Russian, Western European masters of painting, sculpture, graphics, etc. Works of Western European art are exhibited on the third floor in a separate hall of the museum.

Capitalist society was actively developing in the first decade of XX century, and a demand for new forms of architecture arose to express power of big capital. Art Nouveau style no longer met the requirements of modern times and architects returned to eclecticism, being called "retro style". New buildings, erected in the Gothic or classical style, got the prefix "neo-". One of the examples of neoclassicism is a building of a representation office of “The Second Russian Fire Insurance Company” in Mykolaiv.

“The Second Russian Fire Insurance Company” was organized in St. Petersburg in 1835. The representation office in Mykolaiv got its own building in 1904. Vladimir Abramovich Buntselman was the main agent and a representative of the company in Mykolaiv. In 1910 another agency was located here – a branch of the Insurance Company “Russia”.

The building fits the building line of the street and it has no traditional classical portico. Rusticated walls on the façade are cut through by large windows decorated with columns standing out of the wall surface.

The central part of the building is noted for a big balcony on the second floor and two columns underneath. The classical architectural rigor is harmoniously combined with picturesque decoration elements. A large variety of windows, balconies and their design, architectural wall decorations - masks, dripstones, caryatids, bars, garlands, head stops, lanterns, pilasters, etc cannot but impress. The main stairs are decorated with herms on turn. The inner bridge connecting two upper halls requires particular attention. Wrought iron gate in the form of openwork iron rods. The interior decoration of the building, being well preserved to this day, puts an emphasis on the Art Nouveau style.

In 1930 the headquarters of the 15th Sivash division led by V.P. Sokolsky were housed in the building. In postwar years and till the early 1980s the building was occupied by Mykolaiv Regional Executive Committee. Mykolaiv City Executive Committee also had pretensions to the house. But the authorities took heed of the request of museum workers and gave permission for V.V. Vereshchagin Mykolaiv Regional Museum of Fine Arts to be housed in the building.

In 1986 the Museum started working in a new spacious building. Thematic sections of the exhibition halls exhibit icon painting, art of XVIII-XX centuries, works of Ukrainian, Russian, Western European masters of painting, sculpture, graphics, etc. Works of Western European art are exhibited on the third floor in a separate hall of the museum.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The paper-warfare related to handing over the museum has lasted for three years: tons of documents. The house was prepared to be reconstructed, that meant not only repair works but also a change in functional use. The administrative building was supposed to become a museum center and an architectural monument of local significance.
  • The architect’s name is unknown. But the architect was supposed to be invited from the capital and he had to be skillful enough to create an architectural masterpiece in a modish style of "neoclassicism”.
  • The “icing on the cake” of the interior is a sky bridge at the third level.
  • In 2018-2019 facade restoration and roof repair works were completed.
  • The paper-warfare related to handing over the museum has lasted for three years: tons of documents. The house was prepared to be reconstructed, that meant not only repair works but also a change in functional use. The administrative building was supposed to become a museum center and an architectural monument of local significance.
  • The architect’s name is unknown. But the architect was supposed to be invited from the capital and he had to be skillful enough to create an architectural masterpiece in a modish style of "neoclassicism”.
  • The “icing on the cake” of the interior is a sky bridge at the third level.
  • In 2018-2019 facade restoration and roof repair works were completed.