Nikolaev

Doctor Kenigsberg Balneary

Description

  • Doctor Kenigsberg Balneary was established in 1901.
  • The building is in the Moorish taste under the project of Odessa engineer J. Reichenberg under supervision of Mykolaiv architect Ye.Shtukenberg.

Doctor Kenigsberg Balneary was established in 1901. The building is in the Moorish taste under the project of Odessa engineer J. Reichenberg under supervision of Mykolaiv architect Ye.Shtukenberg. The purpose of the establishment has not been changed for more than a century - a medical establishment for restoring people’s health and joy of life, as wished by its founder Mykhailo Kenigsberg.

Doctor Kenigsberg Balneary was established in 1901. The building is in the Moorish taste under the project of Odessa engineer J. Reichenberg under supervision of Mykolaiv architect Ye.Shtukenberg. The purpose of the establishment has not been changed for more than a century - a medical establishment for restoring people’s health and joy of life, as wished by its founder Mykhailo Kenigsberg.

Moreinfo · Doctor Kenigsberg balneary | Mykolaiv - Moreinfo

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • In 1091 a unique establishment was opened in Mykolaiv and it was not only useful for treatment and rehabilitation of patients, but also became a real ornament to the city.
  • The opening of this hydropathical establishment, being known far beyond the city, became possible thanks to Mykhailo Kenigsberg, neuropathologist, full-fledged member of the department of the Russian society "Public Health Protection" and the Union of Mykolaiv doctors.
  • The noble goal - to alleviate suffering and to heal of diseases - this is how Mykhailo Kenigsberg went down in history.The famous doctor, who at one time was a student
  • of Frenchman Sharko, was the first in Mykolaiv to introduce new methods of neurotherapeutics.

In 1091 a unique establishment was opened in Mykolaiv and it was not only useful for treatment and rehabilitation of patients, but also became a real ornament to the city. The opening of this hydropathical establishment, being known far beyond the city, became possible thanks to Mykhailo Kenigsberg, neuropathologist, full-fledged member of the department of the Russian society "Public Health Protection" and the Union of Mykolaiv doctors. The noble goal - to alleviate suffering and to heal of diseases - this is how Mykhailo Kenigsberg went down in history. The famous doctor, who at one time was a student of Frenchman Sharko, was the first in Mykolaiv to introduce new methods of neurotherapeutics. Doctor Kenigsberg Balneary was built in quiet green suburbs of Mykolaiv, not far from the Bug estuary. This area was a cozy recreational place at the beginning of XX century. The Moorish style of construction and craftsmanship made this monumental building one of the best architectural monuments of the beginning of XX century.

The Balneary impressed with its atmosphere and functionality: a large reception room with cushioned furniture, an electric bath, 25 cabins equipped with soft sofas, tables and mirrors, a spacious hydropathical hall. High-level equipment: Sharko shower, spiral shower, Roman bath, a marble pool with running water 2.13 m deep,
faience half-baths, etc. The floor is covered with tiles and nets for water drainage.The balneary suffered heavy losses during World War I: in 1918 it was occupied by German troops, and in early 1920 it served as a refugee dormitory. In December 1920, the medical institution was nationalized and handed over to the Gubernia Healthcare Department. The building has been renovated for 6 years. In 1927 it obtained a new status - "Physiotherapeutic hospital named after the October Revolution”. Seven years later, in 1934, an inpatient health center of sanatorium-type with 100 beds was opened. The institution was renamed into the "Neuro-Physiotherapeutic Center", which also had a gynecological department, an electrotherapy room, an X-ray room. During the German occupation this medical institution served as a military hospital and a stable, and there was a forage warehouse in the hydropathical department. The operation of the medical institution has been restored in the postwar period. In 1948 an inpatient unit, hydropathical department, peloid procedure department, gynecological department and electrotherapy room were opened. In 1951, the medical institution was renamed as the "Mykolaiv Balneological Hospital". Since 1978, the Balneary has been assigned the status of the Institution of High Medical Culture and nowadays it is one of the best medical institutions of this profile in Ukraine. Today, as well as a hundred years ago, the hospital scrupulously performs its functions of rehabilitation and health improvement and preserves historical heritage.

In 1091 a unique establishment was opened in Mykolaiv and it was not only useful for treatment and rehabilitation of patients, but also became a real ornament to the city. The opening of this hydropathical establishment, being known far beyond the city, became possible thanks to Mykhailo Kenigsberg, neuropathologist, full-fledged member of the department of the Russian society "Public Health Protection" and the Union of Mykolaiv doctors. The noble goal - to alleviate suffering and to heal of diseases - this is how Mykhailo Kenigsberg went down in history. The famous doctor, who at one time was a student of Frenchman Sharko, was the first in Mykolaiv to introduce new methods of neurotherapeutics. Doctor Kenigsberg Balneary was built in quiet green suburbs of Mykolaiv, not far from the Bug estuary. This area was a cozy recreational place at the beginning of XX century. The Moorish style of construction and craftsmanship made this monumental building one of the best architectural monuments of the beginning of XX century.

The Balneary impressed with its atmosphere and functionality: a large reception room with cushioned furniture, an electric bath, 25 cabins equipped with soft sofas, tables and mirrors, a spacious hydropathical hall. High-level equipment: Sharko shower, spiral shower, Roman bath, a marble pool with running water 2.13 m deep,
faience half-baths, etc. The floor is covered with tiles and nets for water drainage.The balneary suffered heavy losses during World War I: in 1918 it was occupied by German troops, and in early 1920 it served as a refugee dormitory. In December 1920, the medical institution was nationalized and handed over to the Gubernia Healthcare Department. The building has been renovated for 6 years. In 1927 it obtained a new status - "Physiotherapeutic hospital named after the October Revolution”. Seven years later, in 1934, an inpatient health center of sanatorium-type with 100 beds was opened. The institution was renamed into the "Neuro-Physiotherapeutic Center", which also had a gynecological department, an electrotherapy room, an X-ray room. During the German occupation this medical institution served as a military hospital and a stable, and there was a forage warehouse in the hydropathical department. The operation of the medical institution has been restored in the postwar period. In 1948 an inpatient unit, hydropathical department, peloid procedure department, gynecological department and electrotherapy room were opened. In 1951, the medical institution was renamed as the "Mykolaiv Balneological Hospital". Since 1978, the Balneary has been assigned the status of the Institution of High Medical Culture and nowadays it is one of the best medical institutions of this profile in Ukraine. Today, as well as a hundred years ago, the hospital scrupulously performs its functions of rehabilitation and health improvement and preserves historical heritage.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • Preserved historical artifacts include ancient mosaics, stucco, marble stairs, oak doors, cabins and body wrap rooms.
  • There are 14 lounge rooms with cushioned furniture, baths and water springs on the second floor. It was possible to spend a week or two, depending on the finances. A single procedure cost 0,50-1,00 chervonets. Accommodation and catering were charged extra.
  • The well, 47 meters deep, supplied hospital with the best water in Mykolaiv.
  • In 1928 the hospital bought a new d'Arsonval device that provided an opportunity to expand electrotherapy methods for treatment of nervous and other diseases.
  • Peloid for the hospital was brought from the Fedorovsky estuary, the Odessa estuary "Kuyalnik", Hola Prystan and the Liski salt lake in Mykolaiv.


  • Preserved historical artifacts include ancient mosaics, stucco, marble stairs, oak doors, cabins and body wrap rooms.
  • There are 14 lounge rooms with cushioned furniture, baths and water springs on the second floor. It was possible to spend a week or two, depending on the finances. A single procedure cost 0,50-1,00 chervonets. Accommodation and catering were charged extra.
  • The well, 47 meters deep, supplied hospital with the best water in Mykolaiv.
  • In 1928 the hospital bought a new d'Arsonval device that provided an opportunity to expand electrotherapy methods for treatment of nervous and other diseases.
  • Peloid for the hospital was brought from the Fedorovsky estuary, the Odessa estuary "Kuyalnik", Hola Prystan and the Liski salt lake in Mykolaiv.