Kharkiv

Station Square

Description

  • The most visited area of the city is the Railway Station Square
  • It was with her most of the guests of Kharkiv begin their acquaintance with the city

The most visited area of the city is the Railway Station Square. It was with her most of the guests of Kharkiv begin their acquaintance with the city. At the present time the street on which the area is named after Yevgeny Kotlyar - one of those killed during the revolution of dignity (in the Heavenly hundreds) of Kharkiv.

The most visited area of the city is the Railway Station Square. It was with her most of the guests of Kharkiv begin their acquaintance with the city. At the present time the street on which the area is named after Yevgeny Kotlyar - one of those killed during the revolution of dignity (in the Heavenly hundreds) of Kharkiv.

How to get there?

The nearest metro station - "South Station." To ground stop "South Station" taxis ply 221e, 246e, 250 Oe, 254e, 277e, 278e, 303e; to stop "ul.Konareva" (two minutes walk) - 11e, 244, 254, 258, 282, 302e, tram routes 3 and 6.

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • By the end of the XIX century on the site of the present square was mulberry plantation
  • In 1914, the square was erected the building of the Office of the Southern Railway
  • In the 2000s, an area enriched with a large fountain

By the end of the XIX century on the site of the present square was mulberry plantation, this place was considered located outside the city, which lies in the cemetery of St. Demetrius Church (now - Poltava Way, 44).

However, the development of the transport infrastructure of the city contributed to the construction of the first railway station. Already in 1914, the building of the Southern Railway Administration was erected on the square. First, right on the square in front of the station building, the route of the horse trail was laid, and then the tram. Over time, they were moved a little closer to the Poltava Shlyakha (north). The modern look of the square received in the mid-50s, when the station building itself was completely reconstructed. In the 2000s, its territory was replenished with a large fountain. A couple of years the square was closed to cars, and the Euro-2012 was reconstructed again. Now the building houses the Southern Railway Office, Ukrposhta's main post office (the author of the General Post Office project is Alexander Mordvinov), the central station building that has access to platforms and the metro, the building of the Suburban ticket offices (North Terminal). In addition, on the square there are several gastronomic establishments - popular among the Kharkov citizens food chains. On the territory of the station complex there is a Museum of history and railway equipment of the Southern railway. It was founded in 1967, underwent several significant renovations and was reopened in 2014 in a new building, where the equipment is located under the open sky. Among the exhibits of the museum are a driver's clock, a route for a metropolitan express train with mini-models of railway station buildings, where the train makes stops, steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, tons, cranes, and even a 1922 carriage.

By the end of the XIX century on the site of the present square was mulberry plantation, this place was considered located outside the city, which lies in the cemetery of St. Demetrius Church (now - Poltava Way, 44).

However, the development of the transport infrastructure of the city contributed to the construction of the first railway station. Already in 1914, the building of the Southern Railway Administration was erected on the square. First, right on the square in front of the station building, the route of the horse trail was laid, and then the tram. Over time, they were moved a little closer to the Poltava Shlyakha (north). The modern look of the square received in the mid-50s, when the station building itself was completely reconstructed. In the 2000s, its territory was replenished with a large fountain. A couple of years the square was closed to cars, and the Euro-2012 was reconstructed again. Now the building houses the Southern Railway Office, Ukrposhta's main post office (the author of the General Post Office project is Alexander Mordvinov), the central station building that has access to platforms and the metro, the building of the Suburban ticket offices (North Terminal). In addition, on the square there are several gastronomic establishments - popular among the Kharkov citizens food chains. On the territory of the station complex there is a Museum of history and railway equipment of the Southern railway. It was founded in 1967, underwent several significant renovations and was reopened in 2014 in a new building, where the equipment is located under the open sky. Among the exhibits of the museum are a driver's clock, a route for a metropolitan express train with mini-models of railway station buildings, where the train makes stops, steam locomotives, diesel locomotives, tons, cranes, and even a 1922 carriage.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The first preserved area name - Hierarchical Levada. Historians suggest that the mulberry gardens located here previously belonged to the diocesan bishop, and placed it near the houses.
  • Daily Railway Station Square is filled with music: with recently onset of each afternoon accompanied by music, which makes the musician trumpeter. It can be seen in the middle of the second floor window of the left column (as you face the building of the central station), a clock with arrows.
  • The height of the station building is 26 meters. Architects believe that the maximum height of close to optimal because it allows a person to feel comfortable enough.
  • The first preserved area name - Hierarchical Levada. Historians suggest that the mulberry gardens located here previously belonged to the diocesan bishop, and placed it near the houses.
  • Daily Railway Station Square is filled with music: with recently onset of each afternoon accompanied by music, which makes the musician trumpeter. It can be seen in the middle of the second floor window of the left column (as you face the building of the central station), a clock with arrows.
  • The height of the station building is 26 meters. Architects believe that the maximum height of close to optimal because it allows a person to feel comfortable enough.