Zaporizhzhia

The Dnipro hydroelectric power station (DniproHES)

Description

  • The oldest hydroelectric power plant in the south of Ukraine is one of the largest in the Dnieper cascade of hydroelectric power plants. The dam is a complex hydraulic and construction complex with a bridge, a trestle above the floodgates where a road connects the left-bank and right-bank portions of the city.

DniproGES is a true work of 20th-century architectural art. and a model of industrial architecture. It is a complex hydrotechnical construction complex consisting of: hydroelectric power station-1, hydroelectric power station-2, panel board, spillway and deaf dam, navigable structures, open switchgear. The dam is one of the largest components of the Dnieper cascade of hydroelectric power plants with a bridge and overpass over the floodgates where the motorway with sidewalks passes.

The length of the spillway is 766 m, the radius of the curvilinear dam is 690 m, the highest height of the spillway is 41.6 m, the bullhead is 69.5 m. The length of the dam is 251 m.
The nautical structures are located on the left bank: the upper side beacon, the three-chamber and single-chamber gateways and the lower approach channel. Structurally, the gateway is a rocky recess, the height of its retaining walls 52 m. The filling of the chamber occurs through the water intake, the drain - through the spillways of the gallery.
DniproGES is the heart of Ukrainian electricity, because every 4 kW of the country is the result of its operation. The construction of the station in Zaporizhzhya marked the beginning of the metallurgical, chemical, machine-building and industrial complex.
Architectural characteristics are an example of the most successful combination of utilitarian engineering structures with high aesthetic qualities of architecture. The smooth arc of the mighty dam, dissected by the measured rhythm of the concrete foundations, combined into one whole power plant on one side and gateways on the other.

DniproGES is a true work of 20th-century architectural art. and a model of industrial architecture. It is a complex hydrotechnical construction complex consisting of: hydroelectric power station-1, hydroelectric power station-2, panel board, spillway and deaf dam, navigable structures, open switchgear. The dam is one of the largest components of the Dnieper cascade of hydroelectric power plants with a bridge and overpass over the floodgates where the motorway with sidewalks passes.

The length of the spillway is 766 m, the radius of the curvilinear dam is 690 m, the highest height of the spillway is 41.6 m, the bullhead is 69.5 m. The length of the dam is 251 m.
The nautical structures are located on the left bank: the upper side beacon, the three-chamber and single-chamber gateways and the lower approach channel. Structurally, the gateway is a rocky recess, the height of its retaining walls 52 m. The filling of the chamber occurs through the water intake, the drain - through the spillways of the gallery.
DniproGES is the heart of Ukrainian electricity, because every 4 kW of the country is the result of its operation. The construction of the station in Zaporizhzhya marked the beginning of the metallurgical, chemical, machine-building and industrial complex.
Architectural characteristics are an example of the most successful combination of utilitarian engineering structures with high aesthetic qualities of architecture. The smooth arc of the mighty dam, dissected by the measured rhythm of the concrete foundations, combined into one whole power plant on one side and gateways on the other.

How to get there?

By bus: that goes on Soborna Ave to the River Port, or via DniproGES. Nearby: Concert Hall. E. Glinki, Slavutich Arena Stadium, City House of Children and Youth Creativity.

HISTORY

  • The idea of constructing a dam originated in 1795 when engineer Fadeev began work on the construction of canals and gateways bypassing rapids to facilitate navigation.

There are 16 projects known since 1900 that consisted of implementing technical solutions to raise the Dnieper River level, construct a gateway for a power plant dam, and even plan for irrigation of the dry Black Sea steppes.

The construction of the Dnipro hydroelectric power plant began in 1927, and on May 1, 1932, the Dnipro hydroelectric power plant first gave current. In 1969, the construction of DniproGES-2 and a new single-chamber gateway began. The new gateway became a unique engineering structure that became the domestic analogue of the famous Panamanian gateways.
On August 18, 1941, after receiving information about the breakthrough of German troops in the Zaporozhye area, the DniproGES dam was blown up by NKVD workers. The explosion of 20 tons of explosive in the dam caused a hole nearly 150 m long. After the seizure of Zaporizhzhya by the Wehrmacht, German construction units restored the destroyed part of the dam, and in the summer of 1942, instead of the equipment which was damaged during the explosion, started new production. . Military memoirs mention that the Germans also planned to land the entire dam long before their retreat, but it was destroyed again only partially.
At the end of the war, in 1944 the hydroelectric power station was restored, and in March 1947 the first unit of the Dnieper hydroelectric power plant was put into operation, and already on August 31, 1949, the sixth unit. In 1950, the last ninth hydropower unit of the regenerated power plant was commissioned.
The need to increase the efficiency of hydropower resources stimulated the expansion of the Dnieper hydroelectric power plant by constructing eight additional units with a total capacity of 900 MW. Construction of the station and the new shipping gateway began on April 22, 1972. The first hydroelectric unit was commissioned in 1974, construction of the second phase of the Dnieper Hydroelectric Power Station was completed in 1981, at which time the station started operating at full capacity.

There are 16 projects known since 1900 that consisted of implementing technical solutions to raise the Dnieper River level, construct a gateway for a power plant dam, and even plan for irrigation of the dry Black Sea steppes.

The construction of the Dnipro hydroelectric power plant began in 1927, and on May 1, 1932, the Dnipro hydroelectric power plant first gave current. In 1969, the construction of DniproGES-2 and a new single-chamber gateway began. The new gateway became a unique engineering structure that became the domestic analogue of the famous Panamanian gateways.
On August 18, 1941, after receiving information about the breakthrough of German troops in the Zaporozhye area, the DniproGES dam was blown up by NKVD workers. The explosion of 20 tons of explosive in the dam caused a hole nearly 150 m long. After the seizure of Zaporizhzhya by the Wehrmacht, German construction units restored the destroyed part of the dam, and in the summer of 1942, instead of the equipment which was damaged during the explosion, started new production. . Military memoirs mention that the Germans also planned to land the entire dam long before their retreat, but it was destroyed again only partially.
At the end of the war, in 1944 the hydroelectric power station was restored, and in March 1947 the first unit of the Dnieper hydroelectric power plant was put into operation, and already on August 31, 1949, the sixth unit. In 1950, the last ninth hydropower unit of the regenerated power plant was commissioned.
The need to increase the efficiency of hydropower resources stimulated the expansion of the Dnieper hydroelectric power plant by constructing eight additional units with a total capacity of 900 MW. Construction of the station and the new shipping gateway began on April 22, 1972. The first hydroelectric unit was commissioned in 1974, construction of the second phase of the Dnieper Hydroelectric Power Station was completed in 1981, at which time the station started operating at full capacity.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • With the construction of the dam 50 meters increased the water level in the Dnieper River and opened a full-fledged navigation.
  • The total length of the pressure head of the hydraulic structures of the Dnieper hydroelectric dam - 1.3 km, throughput - 26900 m³ / s.
  • On July 17, 1932, the first tram in the city of Zaporizhzhya was taken on the route through the Dniproges dam.
  • Granite was not used for facade cladding, and tuff was preferred. After all, this lightweight and durable building material of volcanic origin is characterized by non-thermal conductivity - a quality required for construction in hot climates.
  • With the construction of the dam 50 meters increased the water level in the Dnieper River and opened a full-fledged navigation.
  • The total length of the pressure head of the hydraulic structures of the Dnieper hydroelectric dam - 1.3 km, throughput - 26900 m³ / s.
  • On July 17, 1932, the first tram in the city of Zaporizhzhya was taken on the route through the Dniproges dam.
  • Granite was not used for facade cladding, and tuff was preferred. After all, this lightweight and durable building material of volcanic origin is characterized by non-thermal conductivity - a quality required for construction in hot climates.