Dnipro

The Evangelical-Lutheran Church of the Holy KATE

Description

  • The history of the manor begins on March 16, 1861.
  • The Lutheran community was established in 1852.

The history of the manor begins on March 16, 1861, when the local Lutheran community purchased for 775 rubles from open tenders under the Ekaterinoslav Chamber of State Property a land plot from the territory of the City Garden in the size of 42.5 to 36.5 sazhens. (1 sazhen = 2.1336 meters)

Actually, the Lutheran community was created only in 1852 on the initiative of the General-Superintendent Flitner (from 1791 to 1852 the needs of the Lutherans in the city were provided by the pastor, sometimes came from the German colony Josefstal). "The society wanting to build its church, or the prayer house, asked for a place in the city, but this performance was not successful, because according to the Highest approved plan of the city of Ekaterinoslav there was no place for the Lutheran church." It was this refusal of the local authorities that compelled the society to acquire a site in one of the city quarters.

Funds for the construction of the temple were collected, as in the 1850's. So after the acquisition of the site. Since 1861 all members of the community have imposed a voluntary tax on construction in the amount of 1 penny a day. On May 1 (art.), 1865, one-time assistance was received from the Central Committee of the Lutheran Confessionary Reserve's auxiliary fund of 1,000 rubles, which finally allowed the construction to begin.

The history of the manor begins on March 16, 1861, when the local Lutheran community purchased for 775 rubles from open tenders under the Ekaterinoslav Chamber of State Property a land plot from the territory of the City Garden in the size of 42.5 to 36.5 sazhens. (1 sazhen = 2.1336 meters)

Actually, the Lutheran community was created only in 1852 on the initiative of the General-Superintendent Flitner (from 1791 to 1852 the needs of the Lutherans in the city were provided by the pastor, sometimes came from the German colony Josefstal). "The society wanting to build its church, or the prayer house, asked for a place in the city, but this performance was not successful, because according to the Highest approved plan of the city of Ekaterinoslav there was no place for the Lutheran church." It was this refusal of the local authorities that compelled the society to acquire a site in one of the city quarters.

Funds for the construction of the temple were collected, as in the 1850's. So after the acquisition of the site. Since 1861 all members of the community have imposed a voluntary tax on construction in the amount of 1 penny a day. On May 1 (art.), 1865, one-time assistance was received from the Central Committee of the Lutheran Confessionary Reserve's auxiliary fund of 1,000 rubles, which finally allowed the construction to begin.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • Based on the exemplary project of the Lutheran prayer houseIn the mid-1930's. in the building of the temple housed the garment industry of the deaf-mute
  • June 15, 1990, the building of the church and the "House of the pastor" was transferred to the restored Lutheran community of the city

The model project of the Lutheran prayer house was taken as a basis. His modifications were completed free of charge by Major Engineer K.L. Wilke. The contractor of the construction was the merchant Malashin. Supervision of the work carried out by KL. Wilke and the merchant Nikolai Neiman. The consecration of the church in the name of St. Catherine happened already in 1866. Temple objects, necessary for the sacrament, was presented by the wife of the landowner Falz-Fein. Engineer Gostgar, at his own expense, performed the fencing of the altar. Despite the construction of the temple, the city's Lutheran community was not transformed into a separate parish. As before, it was considered a branch of the Josefstal parish. The problem was that the Ministry of Internal Affairs did not consider the society able to provide financial support for the pastor. Only in the 1890's. the community was able to solve this problem. On collected private donations and funds from charitable events in 1896 - 1897 gg. on the estate was built a stone apartment house worth about 40 000 rubles. The profit from the operation of the building after all the deductions, including for the repayment of debts, was estimated at 1600 rubles. This amount was already enough for the maintenance of the pastor. The pastor was probably appointed already in 1897 And in the Ekaterinoslav parish the community of the village of Kamenskoye was also included. In the 1900 - 1910's. Pastor served Edward Hesse.

Somewhat later, a one-story "pastor's house" was built in the estate. Although it is more likely that it was occupied by the Lutheran school. In the early 1910's. the community recognized the old temple as unsatisfactory for its needs. The project of the new temple was designed by architect Boris Dobrotvorsky. The construction was planned to begin in the spring of 1913. For unknown reasons, the work was never started. The only thing that is known about this project is the height of the planned belfry in 24 sazhens (51 m). In the fall of 1914, the Lutheran community opened a military infirmary for 20 beds at its own expense. In 1919 all the real estate of the community was nationalized. In the free rent was only the actual temple. In 1933 the divine services were terminated. In the mid-1930's. The building of the temple housed the garment industry of the deaf-mutes society. According to the policy of the occupation authorities, in the fall of 1941 the church was returned to the Lutheran religious community. In November 1941, there are reports of the repair of the church. On December 25, 1941 the Christmas service took place, which became the first in the restored church. In 1943, shortly after the liberation of the city, the house of the kirks was transferred to the possession of the Ministry of State Security of the location of the Regional Archive. In 1962, the house was given a valid address today and on Prospekt, 103. In 1975-1989, the patent and technical department of the regional library was located in the building of the church. June 15, 1990, the building of the church and the "House of the pastor" were handed over to the restored Lutheran community of the city. The restoration project was carried out by the architect V.V. Gornostayev and designer A. Opperman from Munich. The opening of the church at the end of the repair took place in November 1993.

A little later a one-story "pastor's house" was built in the estate. Although, most likely, it was occupied by the Lutheran school. In the early 1910s, the community recognized the old church as unsatisfactory for its needs.The project of the new church was designed by architect Boris Dobrotvorsky. The construction was planned to begin in the spring of 1913. For unknown reasons, the work did not start. The only thing that is known about this project is the height of the planned bell tower of 24 saunas (51 m). In the autumn of 1914 the Lutheran community opened at its own expense a military infirmary for 20 beds in its own house. In 1919 all the property of the community was nationalized. In the free rent there was only the temple itself. In 1933, worship was suspended. In the mid-1930s, the garment industry of the society was deployed in the building of the temple. In accordance with the policy of the occupation authorities in the fall of 1941, the temple was returned to the Lutheran religious community. In November 1941, it was reported that the church was being repaired. December 25, 1941, a Christmas service was held, which was the first in the restored church. In 1943, shortly after the liberation of the city, the church was transferred to the ownership of the Ministry of National Security at the location of the Regional Archives. In 1962, the building was given a valid and today address on the avenue, 103. In 1975-1989, the building of the church housed the patent and technical department of the regional library. On June 15, 1990, the building of the church and the House of the pastor were transferred to the restored Lutheran community of the city. The reconstruction project was executed by the architect V.V. Gornostayev and designer A. Opperman from Munich. The opening of the temple after repairs was completed in November 1993.

The model project of the Lutheran prayer house was taken as a basis. His modifications were completed free of charge by Major Engineer K.L. Wilke. The contractor of the construction was the merchant Malashin. Supervision of the work carried out by KL. Wilke and the merchant Nikolai Neiman. The consecration of the church in the name of St. Catherine happened already in 1866. Temple objects, necessary for the sacrament, was presented by the wife of the landowner Falz-Fein. Engineer Gostgar, at his own expense, performed the fencing of the altar. Despite the construction of the temple, the city's Lutheran community was not transformed into a separate parish. As before, it was considered a branch of the Josefstal parish. The problem was that the Ministry of Internal Affairs did not consider the society able to provide financial support for the pastor. Only in the 1890's. the community was able to solve this problem. On collected private donations and funds from charitable events in 1896 - 1897 gg. on the estate was built a stone apartment house worth about 40 000 rubles. The profit from the operation of the building after all the deductions, including for the repayment of debts, was estimated at 1600 rubles. This amount was already enough for the maintenance of the pastor. The pastor was probably appointed already in 1897 And in the Ekaterinoslav parish the community of the village of Kamenskoye was also included. In the 1900 - 1910's. Pastor served Edward Hesse.

Somewhat later, a one-story "pastor's house" was built in the estate. Although it is more likely that it was occupied by the Lutheran school. In the early 1910's. the community recognized the old temple as unsatisfactory for its needs. The project of the new temple was designed by architect Boris Dobrotvorsky. The construction was planned to begin in the spring of 1913. For unknown reasons, the work was never started. The only thing that is known about this project is the height of the planned belfry in 24 sazhens (51 m). In the fall of 1914, the Lutheran community opened a military infirmary for 20 beds at its own expense. In 1919 all the real estate of the community was nationalized. In the free rent was only the actual temple. In 1933 the divine services were terminated. In the mid-1930's. The building of the temple housed the garment industry of the deaf-mutes society. According to the policy of the occupation authorities, in the fall of 1941 the church was returned to the Lutheran religious community. In November 1941, there are reports of the repair of the church. On December 25, 1941 the Christmas service took place, which became the first in the restored church. In 1943, shortly after the liberation of the city, the house of the kirks was transferred to the possession of the Ministry of State Security of the location of the Regional Archive. In 1962, the house was given a valid address today and on Prospekt, 103. In 1975-1989, the patent and technical department of the regional library was located in the building of the church. June 15, 1990, the building of the church and the "House of the pastor" were handed over to the restored Lutheran community of the city. The restoration project was carried out by the architect V.V. Gornostayev and designer A. Opperman from Munich. The opening of the church at the end of the repair took place in November 1993.

A little later a one-story "pastor's house" was built in the estate. Although, most likely, it was occupied by the Lutheran school. In the early 1910s, the community recognized the old church as unsatisfactory for its needs.The project of the new church was designed by architect Boris Dobrotvorsky. The construction was planned to begin in the spring of 1913. For unknown reasons, the work did not start. The only thing that is known about this project is the height of the planned bell tower of 24 saunas (51 m). In the autumn of 1914 the Lutheran community opened at its own expense a military infirmary for 20 beds in its own house. In 1919 all the property of the community was nationalized. In the free rent there was only the temple itself. In 1933, worship was suspended. In the mid-1930s, the garment industry of the society was deployed in the building of the temple. In accordance with the policy of the occupation authorities in the fall of 1941, the temple was returned to the Lutheran religious community. In November 1941, it was reported that the church was being repaired. December 25, 1941, a Christmas service was held, which was the first in the restored church. In 1943, shortly after the liberation of the city, the church was transferred to the ownership of the Ministry of National Security at the location of the Regional Archives. In 1962, the building was given a valid and today address on the avenue, 103. In 1975-1989, the building of the church housed the patent and technical department of the regional library. On June 15, 1990, the building of the church and the House of the pastor were transferred to the restored Lutheran community of the city. The reconstruction project was executed by the architect V.V. Gornostayev and designer A. Opperman from Munich. The opening of the temple after repairs was completed in November 1993.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • From 1791 to 1852 the needs of the Lutherans in the city were provided by the pastor, sometimes came from the German colony JosefstalFunds for the construction of the temple were collected, as in the 1850's. So after the acquisition of the site.
  • The consecration of the church in the name of St. Catherine took place in 1866.
  • In 1919, all the real estate of the community was nationalized. In the free rent of the community there was only the temple itself. In 1933 the divine services were terminated. In the mid-1930's. The building of the temple housed the garment industry of the deaf-mutes society.
  • From 1791 to 1852 the needs of the Lutherans in the city were provided by the pastor, sometimes came from the German colony JosefstalFunds for the construction of the temple were collected, as in the 1850's. So after the acquisition of the site.
  • The consecration of the church in the name of St. Catherine took place in 1866.
  • In 1919, all the real estate of the community was nationalized. In the free rent of the community there was only the temple itself. In 1933 the divine services were terminated. In the mid-1930's. The building of the temple housed the garment industry of the deaf-mutes society.