Ternopil

TSUM

Description

  • TSUM - Central supermarket in Ternopil is located on the site of the paraphernal Dominican church of the Mother of God, which was destroyed in 1954, of the Relentless Help.
  • The Roman Catholic church in Ternopil existed from 1908 to 1954.
  • The temple was destroyed in 1954.In its place was supposed to be a park for cultural recreation of citizens.

TSUM - Central supermarket in Ternopil is located on the site of the paraphilic Dominican church of the Mother of God, destroyed in 1954, of the Relentless Help

The modern building of the Central Department Store is located on the site of the destroyed Dominican Church. The Roman Catholic church in Ternopil existed from 1908 to 1954. He was a vivid example of the Neo-Gothic style. The temple was destroyed in 1954 by order of the Council for Religious Affairs under the Council of Ministers of the USSR. As they say in the document approving the demolition of the monument of architecture, in its place should be located a park for cultural recreation of citizens.

TSUM - Central supermarket in Ternopil is located on the site of the paraphilic Dominican church of the Mother of God, destroyed in 1954, of the Relentless Help

The modern building of the Central Department Store is located on the site of the destroyed Dominican Church. The Roman Catholic church in Ternopil existed from 1908 to 1954. He was a vivid example of the Neo-Gothic style. The temple was destroyed in 1954 by order of the Council for Religious Affairs under the Council of Ministers of the USSR. As they say in the document approving the demolition of the monument of architecture, in its place should be located a park for cultural recreation of citizens.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The history of the construction of the Dominican Church begins in 1897.
  • September 8, 1904 was consecrated the first stone in the foundation of the future cathedral.
  • Construction lasted 4 years, and in 1098 the cross on the dome of the cathedral was installed and consecrated.
  • The project was executed by Lviv architect Theodor-Marian Talyovsky.
  • In 1954, under the decree of the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the USSR, the cathedral was completely destroyed, and in its place planned to build a recreation park and culture.
  • Now the central department store of the city of Ternopil is located on the site of the neo-Gothic church. It was erected in 1959 in the style of Stalinist Empire.

The project was executed by Lviv architect Theodor-Maryan Talyovsky, who won a competition for the creation of an architectural project of the Dominican Church.

The architecture of the cathedral was a vivid example of the Neo-Gothic style, which was popular in Europe at the turn of the century. The temple was decorated with stained glass and various sculptures.

The main altar composition was performed by the famous artist Vavzhinets Dajchak. Bas-relief compositions were made by the artist Janina Reichert.

During the Second World War, the temple is subject to considerable destruction. But finally the building of the cathedral falls into decay only with the coming to power of the Bolsheviks. It was the policy of the Soviets that caused the complete destruction of the church. In 1954, under the decree of the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the USSR, the cathedral was completely destroyed, and in its place planned to build a recreation park and culture.

Now the central department store of the city of Ternopil is located on the site of the neo-Gothic church. It was erected in 1959 in the style of Stalinist Empire.

The project was executed by Lviv architect Theodor-Maryan Talyovsky, who won a competition for the creation of an architectural project of the Dominican Church.

The architecture of the cathedral was a vivid example of the Neo-Gothic style, which was popular in Europe at the turn of the century. The temple was decorated with stained glass and various sculptures.

The main altar composition was performed by the famous artist Vavzhinets Dajchak. Bas-relief compositions were made by the artist Janina Reichert.

During the Second World War, the temple is subject to considerable destruction. But finally the building of the cathedral falls into decay only with the coming to power of the Bolsheviks. It was the policy of the Soviets that caused the complete destruction of the church. In 1954, under the decree of the Ministry of Religious Affairs of the USSR, the cathedral was completely destroyed, and in its place planned to build a recreation park and culture.

Now the central department store of the city of Ternopil is located on the site of the neo-Gothic church. It was erected in 1959 in the style of Stalinist Empire.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The height of the tower with the spire of the church was 62 meters.
  • In the cathedral were statues of the Crucified Christ and the Mother of God, donated by the city patron of arts Louis Punchert.
  • The temple was decorated with magnificent stained-glass windows of local masters, which depicted the scene of Christ's blessing of children.
  • The building of the Central Department Store receives 15 thousand customers every day.
  • The height of the tower with the spire of the church was 62 meters.
  • In the cathedral were statues of the Crucified Christ and the Mother of God, donated by the city patron of arts Louis Punchert.
  • The temple was decorated with magnificent stained-glass windows of local masters, which depicted the scene of Christ's blessing of children.
  • The building of the Central Department Store receives 15 thousand customers every day.