Ternopil

Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ

Description

  • It is believed that the beginning of the construction of the temple dates back to 1602.

The Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ is one of the oldest buildings of a cult character in Ternopil. Belongs to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church. It is believed that the beginning of the construction of the temple dates back to 1602.

The Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ is one of the oldest buildings of a cult character in Ternopil. Belongs to the Ukrainian Autocephalous Church. It is believed that the beginning of the construction of the temple dates back to 1602.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • The first mention of the temple dates back to 1566.
  • The church was consecrated in 1609 on the day of the Nativity of Christ.
  • In 1808, the capital was restructured.
  • Then in 1937 the church was rebuilt once again.

The first mention of the temple refers to 1566, the royal decree is a wooden church, which historians claim was standing on the site of the current church of the Nativity of Christ. According to historical information, the wooden church burnt down, and then in its place begin to build a stone church. Construction work is carried out for several years from 1602 to 1608. The church was consecrated in 1609 on the day of the Nativity of Christ. According to the reports, it is known that Bogdan Khmelnitsky himself prayed repeatedly in the church.

The temple was rebuilt several times, gradually to the main composition of the church were added naves, galleries and a bastion.In 1808, the church was restructured, increased the height of the ceiling and changed the murals of the temple. Then in 1937 the church was rebuilt once again, two windows in the altar part were added and the shape of the main dome changed. Also, the restoration of the murals was carried out and new frescos were added.

During the Second World War, the temple did not receive significant damage, but the reign of Bolsheviks adversely affected the architecture of the church. They were demolished a bell tower and a stone fence, as well as a cross of memory of the victims of cholera in 1770.

The first mention of the temple refers to 1566, the royal decree is a wooden church, which historians claim was standing on the site of the current church of the Nativity of Christ. According to historical information, the wooden church burnt down, and then in its place begin to build a stone church. Construction work is carried out for several years from 1602 to 1608. The church was consecrated in 1609 on the day of the Nativity of Christ. According to the reports, it is known that Bogdan Khmelnitsky himself prayed repeatedly in the church.

The temple was rebuilt several times, gradually to the main composition of the church were added naves, galleries and a bastion.In 1808, the church was restructured, increased the height of the ceiling and changed the murals of the temple. Then in 1937 the church was rebuilt once again, two windows in the altar part were added and the shape of the main dome changed. Also, the restoration of the murals was carried out and new frescos were added.

During the Second World War, the temple did not receive significant damage, but the reign of Bolsheviks adversely affected the architecture of the church. They were demolished a bell tower and a stone fence, as well as a cross of memory of the victims of cholera in 1770.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • On the territory of the temple there is a miraculous icon of the Mother of God. Bogdan Khmelnitsky prayed at the Church of the Nativity of Christ.
  • During the restoration work in 2007, an invaluable archive of documents was found, which numbered more than 20 metric books, address lists, signatures of famous personalities: Andrei Sheptytsky, Ivan Buchka, Alexander Barvinsky. All documentation is dated 1725 year.
  • On the site of the present temple was a wooden Middle Church, which was burnt during a fire. Then in its place it was decided to build a stone church.
  • On the territory of the temple there is a miraculous icon of the Mother of God. Bogdan Khmelnitsky prayed at the Church of the Nativity of Christ.
  • During the restoration work in 2007, an invaluable archive of documents was found, which numbered more than 20 metric books, address lists, signatures of famous personalities: Andrei Sheptytsky, Ivan Buchka, Alexander Barvinsky. All documentation is dated 1725 year.
  • On the site of the present temple was a wooden Middle Church, which was burnt during a fire. Then in its place it was decided to build a stone church.