Dnipro

Dnepropetrovsk Philharmonic

Description

  • The building of the Philharmonic Society appeared in 1912 and was ten years ahead of its time.

The building of the Philharmonic Society appeared in 1912 and was ten years ahead of its time. Alexander Ginzburg designed it in the constructivism style, which was widely used only in the 1920s and 1930s, and for the beginning of the 20th century this style was a bold innovation. The architect in this project abandoned the traditional forms of modernity in favor of the severity, conciseness and monolithic appearance of the building.

The building of the Philharmonic Society appeared in 1912 and was ten years ahead of its time. Alexander Ginzburg designed it in the constructivism style, which was widely used only in the 1920s and 1930s, and for the beginning of the 20th century this style was a bold innovation. The architect in this project abandoned the traditional forms of modernity in favor of the severity, conciseness and monolithic appearance of the building.

How to get there?

And also nearby

  • Mansion of Thyssen

    The building of the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Philharmonic was built in 1912 as a place for public gatherings: scientific conferences, meetings with foreign delegations, and amateur performances. During its existence, the building of the Philharmonic changed its purpose: until 1960, it was a Russian Drama Theater. Gorky, the regional theater for children and youth, the palace of railway workers. It became the property of the regional Dnieper Philharmonic only in 2001, and from that moment active restoration work began. The Philharmonic is named after Leonid Kogan, an outstanding Ukrainian violinist of the twentieth century.

    Anatoly Solovyanenko, Oleg Marusev, the Tamrazov brothers worked in the Dnipropetrovsk Regional Philharmonic, and Mstislav Rostropovich, Aram Khachaturian, Svyatoslav Richter, David and Igor Oistrakhi, Karen Karapetyan, Andrey Knyazev performed on her stage.