Dnipro

Mansion of Thyssen

Description

  • The building of the mansion was completed in 1905.
  • The mansion cost about 26 000 rubles.

The farmstead arose after the approval in 1897 of a project for the correction of the intersection of Sadovaya Street and Prison Square. The exact date of formation of the estate and the first owners are unknown.The date of acquisition of the estate by architect Dietrich Kornelievich Tissen is not exactly established.

Construction of his own mansion, he completed in 1905. In 1906 the house of D.K. Thyssen was first listed in the list of urban real estate and was assessed for taxation of 2,600 rubles, which allows you to determine its real value of approximately 26,000 rubles. The mansion of D.K.Thyssen is one of the best examples of modernity and is one of the best preserved examples of buildings in this style in the architecture of the city.
The building can be considered a program object of rational modernity, which became the dominant architectural style of the city in the early 1910s.

The farmstead arose after the approval in 1897 of a project for the correction of the intersection of Sadovaya Street and Prison Square. The exact date of formation of the estate and the first owners are unknown.The date of acquisition of the estate by architect Dietrich Kornelievich Tissen is not exactly established.

Construction of his own mansion, he completed in 1905. In 1906 the house of D.K. Thyssen was first listed in the list of urban real estate and was assessed for taxation of 2,600 rubles, which allows you to determine its real value of approximately 26,000 rubles. The mansion of D.K.Thyssen is one of the best examples of modernity and is one of the best preserved examples of buildings in this style in the architecture of the city.
The building can be considered a program object of rational modernity, which became the dominant architectural style of the city in the early 1910s.

How to get there?

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • D.K. Thyssen was forced to sell his mansion because of financial difficulties caused by his brother's bankruptcy.
  • In 1942, the mansion was occupied by the Puppet Theatre that was operational probably until 1943.
  • Since the mid-1980s, the mansion was occupied by Evening school No. 22 for deaf children and children with poor hearing, which has been operational ever since.

In addition to architectural qualities, the mansion is also distinguished by an excellent organization of space, both internal and territory of the estate. The layout is with a large hall with a staircase and a top gallery, around which there are relatively small rooms. The services were located in the basement and the courtyard from the side of Andrey Fabra. Part of the site from the side of Starokazatskaya Street was occupied by a garden. The lower part of the plot was probably planned from the very beginning to house the profitable house. Date of construction of this house is not exactly established. In 1909, the estate celebrated the work of N. Litovchenko's canteen and Asaba's grocery store. But, most likely, at the moment there was a one-story building. Probably, a four-story apartment house was built only in 1914. In any case, this building receives a separate address from this year: Sadovaya (A. Fabra), 14. Behind the style signs and characteristic details of the décor, the building is also recognized as one of the works of T. TO. Thyssen.

Because of the financial difficulties associated with the bankruptcy of his brother, D.K. Thyssen was forced to sell his estate. In 1909 - 1911 years.the owner of the house is Alexander Alenich. In 1912 the estate was purchased by Alexander Grigorievich Gerbilsky, a doctor of medicine.The mansion was converted to the installation of an electric light hospital, which was located there at the end of the year. Despite the fact that in 1914 A.G. Gerbilsky was mobilized in the army, his hospital continued to work even by 1917. The hospital was liquidated only in the years of the revolution. In the 1920s. the house is listed as part of a joint housing cooperative, which included houses: Sadovaya Street. 10, 11, 13, 14, 16. As residential it was used and in the 1930s. In 1942 the Puppet Theater was located in the house, probably worked here until 1943. In the second half of the 1940s, The house housed the Kirov District Department of Public Utilities. And in 1950 - ser. 1980s The mansion was occupied by kindergarten No. 28. Since the mid-1980s. In the house there is an evening school № 22 for deaf and hard of hearing children, which works in it till now.

In addition to architectural qualities, the mansion is also distinguished by an excellent organization of space, both internal and territory of the estate. The layout is with a large hall with a staircase and a top gallery, around which there are relatively small rooms. The services were located in the basement and the courtyard from the side of Andrey Fabra. Part of the site from the side of Starokazatskaya Street was occupied by a garden. The lower part of the plot was probably planned from the very beginning to house the profitable house. Date of construction of this house is not exactly established. In 1909, the estate celebrated the work of N. Litovchenko's canteen and Asaba's grocery store. But, most likely, at the moment there was a one-story building. Probably, a four-story apartment house was built only in 1914. In any case, this building receives a separate address from this year: Sadovaya (A. Fabra), 14. Behind the style signs and characteristic details of the décor, the building is also recognized as one of the works of T. TO. Thyssen.

Because of the financial difficulties associated with the bankruptcy of his brother, D.K. Thyssen was forced to sell his estate. In 1909 - 1911 years.the owner of the house is Alexander Alenich. In 1912 the estate was purchased by Alexander Grigorievich Gerbilsky, a doctor of medicine.The mansion was converted to the installation of an electric light hospital, which was located there at the end of the year. Despite the fact that in 1914 A.G. Gerbilsky was mobilized in the army, his hospital continued to work even by 1917. The hospital was liquidated only in the years of the revolution. In the 1920s. the house is listed as part of a joint housing cooperative, which included houses: Sadovaya Street. 10, 11, 13, 14, 16. As residential it was used and in the 1930s. In 1942 the Puppet Theater was located in the house, probably worked here until 1943. In the second half of the 1940s, The house housed the Kirov District Department of Public Utilities. And in 1950 - ser. 1980s The mansion was occupied by kindergarten No. 28. Since the mid-1980s. In the house there is an evening school № 22 for deaf and hard of hearing children, which works in it till now.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • In 1912 the estate was purchased by Alexander Grigorievich Gerbilsky, a doctor of medicine. The mansion was converted into a hospital, which was located here at the end of the year.
  • In the 1920s. the house is listed as part of a joint housing cooperative, which included houses: Sadovaya Street. 10, 11, 13, 14, 16. As residential it was used and in the 1930s.
  • In 1942, the Puppet Theater was located in the house, probably worked here until 1943.
  • In the second half of the 1940s. the house housed the Kirov district department of municipal services.
  • Since the mid-1980s. here is the evening general school № 22 for deaf and hard of hearing children, which works in it and today.
  • In 1912 the estate was purchased by Alexander Grigorievich Gerbilsky, a doctor of medicine. The mansion was converted into a hospital, which was located here at the end of the year.
  • In the 1920s. the house is listed as part of a joint housing cooperative, which included houses: Sadovaya Street. 10, 11, 13, 14, 16. As residential it was used and in the 1930s.
  • In 1942, the Puppet Theater was located in the house, probably worked here until 1943.
  • In the second half of the 1940s. the house housed the Kirov district department of municipal services.
  • Since the mid-1980s. here is the evening general school № 22 for deaf and hard of hearing children, which works in it and today.