The construction of a new commercial apartment building was carried out from 1909 to 1910 with a private women's gymnasium of S. M. Yudkevich functioning in it already since 15 August (the old style). D.K. Thyssen, an architect, was the author of the project although it does not have any documentary evidence. The stylistic features of the building, which combine Renaissance and modernism, along with the use of specific decorative techniques make Thyssen's authorship undisputable. Initially, the building had four stories and an attic with a tiled roof. It housed five stores and six large apartments.
A separate section for eighteen premises was specially equipped for a gymnasium. The building had its own biological sewage treatment station connected to the collector. By the end of 1910 all the apartments and four stores out of five were occupied, with middle-income entrepreneurs prevailing among the tenants.
The stores were also not very popular in the shopping world of the city. The gymnasium, probably, ceased to exist in 1919-1920, although there is no a reliable information about its closure. At the times of the Soviet regime, the mansion was gradually transformed into a fully residential building. It suffered minor damages in the course of skirmishes in the fall of 1941 року, and it was repaired in early 1942. In the 1970s, when carrying out an overhaul, the building was redesigned. The attic was rebuilt into a full-scale floor, with many elements of the facade decoration eliminated and the original look of the facade almost completely destroyed.