The construction of the club was started already in 1890 and was completed by the end of 1891 stucco decoration of the interiors performed by the local sculptural workshop "N.A. Foimchev and S.E.Radler ". Information about the participation of AI. von Gauguin directly in the construction is not revealed. As far as can be understood from the available materials, originally the building was built in full accordance with the competitive design, which makes it unique in local architectural practices. Later the house was reconstructed several times. Two-story service building was completed. The verandas from the side of the park were glazed and turned into a hall. In 1913 years. Before the building, according to the project of architect A.N. Petrovetsky, the theater building with a hall for 1200 seats (the modern theater named after Shevchenko) was completed. In November 1914 it was in the premises of the Theater of the English Club that the 2nd Hospital of the Ekaterinoslav Branch of the Union of Cities was opened, designed for 200 beds.
At the beginning of 1918 the building of the club was captured by activists of the "Club of Labor Youth named after the IRI International".But in January the institutions of the All-Ukrainian Central Executive Committee were located here. After occupation of the city by the Austro-Hungarian army, the building was returned to the club's property, resumed its work in April 1918. Finally the club ceased its work in 1919 after its closure the club and theater buildings were divided. In the theatrical there is the Central Party Club. Lenin (Central Theater).Subsequently, a club of railway workers worked here for a while. And since 1927. And the Theater of the Ukrainian Soviet Republic them. T. Shevchenko.
The club building was originally occupied by the provincial party school.In 1927, according to the decision of the city council, it was transferred to house the Red Army House. In the autumn of 1941 .. The building housed the Ukrainian club. But already in December 1941, he was liquidated, because he received an expressive anti-German orientation.The club and theater buildings were merged into a German club. During official visits to the city, Erich Koch and Alfred Rosenberg performed here.
In 1944, the theater resumed their work in the buildings. Shevchenko and the garrison House of Officers. After the House of Officers was closed, the club building moved into private ownership.