Kharkiv

Choral synagogue

Description

  • Architectural building is an architectural monument of local importance
  • Hebrew name sounds like the synagogue "Beit Menachem '

The Choral Synagogue is a central and officially recognized architectural monument in Kharkov. Its central entrance can be recognized by the star of David at the gate. Surprisingly, the composition of the building is also central. The architectural style is neo-Moorish. It was built in 1912-1913.

The Choral Synagogue is a central and officially recognized architectural monument in Kharkov. Its central entrance can be recognized by the star of David at the gate. Surprisingly, the composition of the building is also central. The architectural style is neo-Moorish. It was built in 1912-1913.

How to get there?

The 5-7 minute walk from the synagogue there is a metro station "Historical Museum" and "Constitution Square". To ground stop "Constitution Square" ply taxis number 78e, 88e, 89e, 118e, 217e, 218e, 219e, 241e, 249e, 269e, 272e.

And also nearby

HISTORY

  • From 1867 to 1910 on the site of the present synagogue was located mansion, designed in classic style
  • He functioned as a house of worship of the Jewish community
  • In 1998, a fire occurred in a building restoration project VE Novgorodova took five years. In the modern room can simultaneously accommodate about a thousand people

The first synagogue was opened in 1867. This happened at a time when the street was still called German, and not Pushkin. The Jewish population grew and “prayer houses” were opened throughout the city in apartments and small houses. At this place, he also settled down in a classic mansion. And it lasted from 1867 to 1910.

In 1901, there were 2 official synagogues, by 1917 it exceeded to 18. But this was the main one. In principle, over time, she did not lose her status.

Later, it became a synagogue not only in terms of internal meaning, but also in architecture.

It so happened that the St. Petersburg Society of Architects decided to organize a competition for the construction of a new synagogue. The first prize was awarded to St. Petersburg architect J. G. Gevirtz.

The first synagogue was opened in 1867. This happened at a time when the street was still called German, and not Pushkin. The Jewish population grew and “prayer houses” were opened throughout the city in apartments and small houses. At this place, he also settled down in a classic mansion. And it lasted from 1867 to 1910.

In 1901, there were 2 official synagogues, by 1917 it exceeded to 18. But this was the main one. In principle, over time, she did not lose her status.

Later, it became a synagogue not only in terms of internal meaning, but also in architecture.

It so happened that the St. Petersburg Society of Architects decided to organize a competition for the construction of a new synagogue. The first prize was awarded to St. Petersburg architect J. G. Gevirtz.

INTERESTING FACTS

  • The new building, due to the Jewish law, which is located a little deeper into the street, because the synagogue had to be removed to a distance of at least 100 Sazhnev (213 meters) from the nearest Orthodox church - St Nicholas Church in the Plaza of the Constitution.
  • Kharkov synagogue is the largest in Ukraine and the CIS. Also the second largest after Budapest.
  • The height of the dome of the synagogue - 42 meters.
  • The new building, due to the Jewish law, which is located a little deeper into the street, because the synagogue had to be removed to a distance of at least 100 Sazhnev (213 meters) from the nearest Orthodox church - St Nicholas Church in the Plaza of the Constitution.
  • Kharkov synagogue is the largest in Ukraine and the CIS. Also the second largest after Budapest.
  • The height of the dome of the synagogue - 42 meters.